1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Are you color blind? color blind test.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dragneon007, Jan 20, 2010.

1. dragneon007

dragneon007 Well-Known Member

Are you color blind?

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWyrp3hu4KE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6Buyr4HGhk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_blindness

Color blindness, or colour blindness, a color vision deficiency, is the inability to perceive differences between some of the colors that others can distinguish. It is most often of genetic nature, but may also occur because of eye, nerve, or brain damage, or exposure to certain chemicals. The English chemist John Dalton published the first scientific paper on the subject in 1798, "Extraordinary facts relating to the vision of colours", after the realization of his own color blindness. Because of Dalton's work, the condition was often called daltonism, although this term is now used for a type of color blindness called deuteranopia.

Color blindness is sometimes classed as a disability, however, in certain situations color blind individuals have an advantage over those with normal color vision. There are some studies which conclude that color blind individuals are better at penetrating certain color camouflages and it has been suggested that this may be the evolutionary explanation for the surprisingly high frequency of congenital red-green colour blindness.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The colors of the rainbow as viewed by a person with no color vision deficiencies

[​IMG]
    The colors of the rainbow as viewed by a person with protanopia

[​IMG]
    The colors of the rainbow as viewed by a person with deuteranopia.

[​IMG]
    The colors of the rainbow as viewed by a person with tritanopia

Dichromacy
    Protanopes, deuteranopes, and tritanopes are dichromats; that is, they can match any color they see with some mixture of just two spectral lights (whereas normally humans are trichromats and require three lights). These individuals normally know they have a color vision problem and it can affect their lives on a daily basis. Protanopes and deuteranopes see no perceptible difference between red, orange, yellow, and green. All these colors that seem so different to the normal viewer appear to be the same color for this two percent of the population.

Test for Protanopia[Note 1]
    This image contains the number 37, but someone who is protanopic may not be able to see it.Protanopia (1% of males): Lacking the long-wavelength sensitive retinal cones, those with this condition are unable to distinguish between colors in the green-yellow-red section of the spectrum. They have a neutral point at a greenish wavelength around 492 nm – that is, they cannot discriminate light of this wavelength from white. For the protanope, the brightness of red, orange, and yellow is much reduced compared to normal. This dimming can be so pronounced that reds may be confused with black or dark gray, and red traffic lights may appear to be extinguished. They may learn to distinguish reds from yellows and from greens primarily on the basis of their apparent brightness or lightness, not on any perceptible hue difference. Violet, lavender, and purple are indistinguishable from various shades of blue because their reddish components are so dimmed as to be invisible. E.g., pink flowers, reflecting both red light and blue light, may appear just blue to the protanope. Very few people have been found who have one normal eye and one protanopic eye. These unilateral dichromats report that with only their protanopic eye open, they see wavelengths below the neutral point as blue and those above it as yellow. This is a rare form of color blindness.
    [​IMG]
    Test for Protanopia
    This image contains the number 37, but someone who is protanopic may not be able to see it

Deuteranopia (1% of males): Lacking the medium-wavelength cones, those affected are again unable to distinguish between colors in the green-yellow-red section of the spectrum. Their neutral point is at a slightly longer wavelength, 498 nm. The deuteranope suffers the same hue discrimination problems as the protanope, but without the abnormal dimming. The names red, orange, yellow, and green really mean very little to him aside from being different names that every one else around him seems to be able to agree on. Similarly, violet, lavender, purple, and blue, seem to be too many names to use logically for hues that all look alike to him. This is one of the rarer forms of colorblindness making up about 1% of the male population, also known as Daltonism after John Dalton. (Dalton's diagnosis was confirmed as deuteranopia in 1995, some 150 years after his death, by DNA analysis of his preserved eyeball.) Deuteranopic unilateral dichromats report that with only their deuteranopic eye open, they see wavelengths below the neutral point as blue and those above it as yellow.
    [​IMG]
    Test for Deuteranopia[Note 1]
    This image shows a number 49, but someone who is deuteranopic may not be able to see it.

Tritanopia (less than 1% of males and females): Lacking the short-wavelength cones, those affected are unable to distinguish between the colors in the blue-yellow section of the spectrum. This form of color blindness is not sex-linked
    [​IMG]
    Test for Tritanopia
    This image shows the number 56, but someone who is tritanopic may not be able to see it.

Protanomaly (1% of males, 0.01% of females):[18] Having a mutated form of the long-wavelength (red) pigment, whose peak sensitivity is at a shorter wavelength than in the normal retina, protanomalous individuals are less sensitive to red light than normal. This means that they are less able to discriminate colors, and they do not see mixed lights as having the same colors as normal observers. They also suffer from a darkening of the red end of the spectrum. This causes reds to reduce in intensity to the point where they can be mistaken for black. Protanomaly is a fairly rare form of color blindness, making up about 1% of the male population. Both protanomaly and deuteranomaly are carried on the X chromosome.
    Deuteranomaly (most common - 6% of males, 0.4% of females):[18] Having a mutated form of the medium-wavelength (green) pigment. The medium-wavelength pigment is shifted towards the red end of the spectrum resulting in a reduction in sensitivity to the green area of the spectrum. Unlike protanomaly the intensity of colors is unchanged. This is the most common form of color blindness, making up about 6% of the male population. The deuteranomalous person is considered "green weak". For example, in the evening, dark green cars appear to be black to Deuteranomalous people. Similar to the protanomates, deuteranomates are poor at discriminating small differences in hues in the red, orange, yellow, green region of the spectrum. They make errors in the naming of hues in this region because the hues appear somewhat shifted towards red. One very important difference between deuteranomalous individuals and protanomalous individuals is deuteranomalous individuals do not have the loss of "brightness" problem.
    Tritanomaly (equally rare for males and females [0.01% for both]):[18] Having a mutated form of the short-wavelength (blue) pigment. The short-wavelength pigment is shifted towards the green area of the spectrum. This is the rarest form of anomalous trichromacy color blindness. Unlike the other anomalous trichromacy color deficiencies, the mutation for this color blindness is carried on chromosome 7.[19] Therefore it is equally prevalent in both male & female populations. The OMIM gene code for this mutation is 304000 “Colorblindness, Partial Tritanomaly

Anomalous trichromacy
    Those with protanomaly, deuteranomaly, or tritanomaly are trichromats, but the color matches they make differ from the normal. They are called anomalous trichromats. In order to match a given spectral yellow light, protanomalous observers need more red light in a red/green mixture than a normal observer, and deuteranomalous observers need more green. From a practical standpoint though, many protanomalous and deuteranomalous people breeze through life with very little difficulty doing tasks that require normal color vision. Some may not even be aware that their color perception is in any way different from normal. The only problem they have is passing a color vision test.

Protanomaly and deuteranomaly can be readily observed using an instrument called an anomaloscope, which mixes spectral red and green lights in variable proportions, for comparison with a fixed spectral yellow. If this is done in front of a large audience of men, as the proportion of red is increased from a low value, first a small proportion of people will declare a match, while most of the audience sees the mixed light as greenish. These are the deuteranomalous observers. Next, as more red is added the majority will say that a match has been achieved. Finally, as yet more red is added, the remaining, protanomalous, observers will declare a match at a point where everyone else is seeing the mixed light as definitely reddish.

2. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Thankfully I can see all of those numbers. Although I do notice that if I shut my right eye and look through for my left eye, everything seems to have a very slight tinge of red.. While if I close my left eye and look through my right eye, everything seems to have a very slight tinge of green..

This has bugged me for a long time and some people think I'm just making it up, it doesn't affect me because I can still distinguish colours apart, but I would like to know what it might be... Does anyone know?

3. Rysio

Rysio Well-Known Member

Heh, I was already tested for color blindness in school. I'm perfectly fine ::)

4. bidels

bidels Well-Known Member

Phew I was starting to get worried there.... the test shows I am not colour blind

5. p4tman

p4tman Guest

Sigh I've always been bad with colors I can't see the numbers in the Protanopia and Deuteranomaly test.
    I always suck at bust a move and games like that.
    At least bust a move you can change the bubble to numbers makes it easier for me.

6. ggrroohh

ggrroohh Well-Known Member

I was born with normal eyes,thankfully.
    Although I have to say some of those number images are kinda hard to see.
    The colors seems a bit too light to me,maybe its my monitor.

7. g@l1h

g@l1h Well-Known Member

My eyes are normal :)

8. dancubs

dancubs Well-Known Member

That last one with the 56 almost got me. But I aced the test.

9. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Did you know that if a man is color blind, and he has a daughter, that the daughter has a chance of having "super color vision" (I think the term is Quadchromat). They get the three normal cones and they can get the defective cone from the father that lies somewhere between the good ones. This gives the girl a heighten color detection. The color blindness trait is carried on the X Chromosome.

I'm not color blind though. And I have near 100% color detection (took various tests). I have zero fashion sense though, and couldn't tell you what colors go with what.

10. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

I cant see the last one with 56.What will I do.

11. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Die a slow and painful death within the next some 25 seconds.

Either that or go to the doctor man and get it verified.

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

the 49 and 37...I cannot see.

I already knew I had "red-green" colour blind anyway, a eye doctor at school confirmed it...despite me being able to tell the shades of green on her army pants :p

13. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Haha! I think I am also guilty of that, so I settle on colours that are similar.. Like blue..

14. dedboy

dedboy Guest

I'm slightly color blind, as it seems neutral colors can trip me up. I got all three correct though. They were vivid enough.

15. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I'm not color blind. But i need glasses to see properly..

My friend's dad is color blind, but he doesn't like that and he says that he is "Color Deficient". :p

16. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I can barely see the "49" but cannot see the "56" at all.

but if I tilt the screen away from me....i can see all 3 just fine. :p

17. dagen

dagen Member

I can see all of them fine which is nice to know.

18. TAYLOR2O

TAYLOR2O Well-Known Member

Nope, not colour blind!

19. Paddette

Paddette Well-Known Member

Had to have a colour blind test x2 for the Navy. So I am not : D

20. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Hmm... doing it as you said, I did realize that with my left eye, some of those numbers looked bluer, while on the right they were redder. But non the less, I could see all of 'em quite clearly but the 49 one kinda scared me. Probably because I'm using an LCD monitor, which we all know don't quite show colours as vividly as CRTs would.