1. This forum is in read-only mode.

are roms illegal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fire9132, Oct 7, 2007.

1. fire9132

fire9132 New Member

i wanna know if roms are illegal

2. cursed angel

cursed angel Well-Known Member

lol i don't think so

3. haineko

haineko Member

yes they are, u can only have them if u have the actual cart, or u have to delete them after 24 hours of downloading them

hmmmmm.......i have had to delete them i would have free up 47.1 GB of roms

lol

4. Warren_303

Warren_303 Well-Known Member

In other words go to the store and buy games. lol :)

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

ROMs are illegal yeah, don't think they aren't.

6. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

that "24 hour" business is a load of bull, in reality a genuinly legal rom is one where you buy the game and dump it yourself. end of.

it's like saying "i'll steal £32 million from my local bank, but it'll be ok if i return the cash 24 hours later". doesn't work.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Would under UK law :p

8. megadethnatic

megadethnatic Member

Like sir_spamalot said:
    The 24-hours sentence is something for the trash can.

When you own the original cartridge or cd, you are allowed to own the rom/iso. When you don't own the game in physical, you aren't allowed to possess the rom/iso.

9. beundertaker

beundertaker Active Member

I was reading up a little on this law. It said something about if you own the actual game then you can download the respectable iso / rom for back-up purposes only.

I'm sorry, but if I buy a game, I want to be able to play it on another system (like my pc) and not just have it there to burn. Especially if it is a rom, because burning a cartridge can be done so easily. :-X

10. Void

Void Well-Known Member

Wrong.

Wrong.

ROMs are illegal. Plain and simple. Though corporations could have different laws on them, the general rule (and with Nintendo, atleast) is that it's illegal to own a backup of the game, even if you own/dump it yourself. The 24-hour thing is total BS. That doesn't even make any sense.

11. Seph

That's not entirely accurate, if you own the game and you make the dump yourself then you're fully entitled to that, you are always allowed to make a backup copy of any digital data. The keyword here is make, not download.

12. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

i onyl download games because i get frustarted by the fact that not only europeans get a raw deal during game release times but the number of games that have never made it here isn't even funny - plus japanese titles. and i don't like inporting because i don't find it funnyteh way P and P can cost more than the thiing you're trying to buy.

13. Void

Void Well-Known Member

"Copying of any video game for any Nintendo system is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international property laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software. Violators will be prosecuted."

^Copied directly from a Nintendo pamphlet.

14. clugenheim

clugenheim Well-Known Member

But are those the actual COPYRIGHT laws? Isn't their a difference?

15. zachillion

zachillion New Member

I am in total agreeance with Seph. What I can interpret from the copyright laws is that a person is free to make copies of original data just as long as the same person owns a license to the product, meaning the person has bought a copy of the product.

16. goldenfrankO

goldenfrankO Member

They are illegal, Unless its homebrew you made yourself. then its legal.

17. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

If I were Nintendo I would put that on my pamphlet as well. That doesn't make it a law.

18. Rudey

Rudey New Member

Whell, Yeah they are illegal i think.
    Because they arent copyrighted or promoted by nintendo.
    But i don't care :)
    I don't want to spend 40 Euro's ( I live in Europe ) on one game.
    Buy a m3 ds simply! 80 euros with 2gb and u have all the roms u want!

19. Seph

OH COME ON! I thought you would be clever enough to realize what a heavily biased source you're citing there, of course they're going to say it's illegal to make backups, they'd say it was illegal to return games to the store if they could get away with it.

I can't say for the states but in Denmark the actual law states that it's perfectly legal to create a backup of ALL digital media, it's like a human right here, regardless of what Nintendo says. ;)

20. stevo11185

stevo11185 Well-Known Member

Roms are not illegal if the company is not in business any more. Also if the game is not available to people: say for example a really old N64 game.

However if the game is on newer platforms such as the Wii (with virtual console) it is illegal to download it.

How could you be sued for downloading a game that you cant buy anymore?