1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Are R4s still good to use?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by jeremytodd1, Sep 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1 Well-Known Member

I ordered an R4 a couple days ago because I thought that was the most popular card, but now I learned that I should have gotten a different type.

Will R4s still play newer games (like Scribblenauts and games that come out next year and stuff)?

What card should I have gone with?

2. Geminis076

Geminis076 Well-Known Member

I'm curious to read replies too, wondering what the next step up would be. The R4 is probably the cheapest around but yes it's considered older and outdated. I and most of my friends have R4s, I really like it and haven't had too many game compatibility issues. I think I have about 300 games (thanks to Romulation!) and there's only been a handful of games that gave me issues.

I think the R4 is very user friendly and a good recommendation for a newbie or someone not really familiar with things like a small kid or a not so tech savvy adult. I haven't tried Scribblenauts yet though I have downloaded it, but I don't remember reading R4 issues in the comments section - usually people will post R4 issues.

If this is your first time having purchased one of these cards, congratulations and you will not regret it - even if the R4 isn't as good as you thought it was =P (it's still pretty decent!).

3. jeremytodd1

jeremytodd1 Well-Known Member

Well how is it outdated? Like what are some issues it has? And what are a couple of games that don't work on it, and what goes wrong with those games?

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

The people who made r4 are long gone-the market is flooded with fakes now.

The Original r4 (the last the real team made) can't even run micro sd cards past 2gb I believe-any sdhc cards fail to work.

There are "clones" that work the same but require firmware from other sorces-some are good and work better than the original r4-such as the r4i that works on dsi.

But personally-people need to quit flogging the r4 already-they cause headaches at times.

I would suggest acekard 2.i-dsi compatible (works on all ds models) and can use an expansion card called "ezy 3 in 1" without extra software needed to run (r4's can run it but require something called ys menu-whatever that is)-plus plain easier to use and is updated quite often (they are currently working on a work around for the 1.4 firmware of the dsi).

The r4 WAS one of the best-it's time is up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.