1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Are patched roms "worse" in any way?

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by blacquity846, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blacquity846

blacquity846 Member

I downloaded the patched version of GTA Chinatown Wars for use on my cyclo evolution, but now they released a firmware update to make the game work. Would I be any better off using the original rom instead of the patched one? Basically are there any negative effects to using a patched version is what i am asking.

thanks

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

A lot of the times once a permanent fix comes out with the firmware, the patched roms will not work correctly.

It's like the Chrono Trigger rom. Cyclo came out with a supported firmware, and the patched rom everyone used did not work, it had to be a clean rom. I don't know if this is the case with GTA, since I haven't played it.

Generally speaking though, it's always better to use a clean rom. It avoids any issues that may arise.

3. blacquity846

blacquity846 Member

ok cool thanks. Is there any way then that I could make my save game from the patched version work in the normal one? Because I have played GTA for a while and accumulated a bunch of money and stuff that I would rather not lose. If I want to use the clean rom will I have to start over?

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I don't think you can use the saved game, unfortunately.

5. Skane

Skane Well-Known Member

Not sure, but I think you can use the same ROM SAV file as long as the file name is the same a your ROM.

6. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

You should be able to keep with the same save file. Yes, generally using patched ROMs with the firmware that does the patching etc. or in runtime, can cause errors, so generally using a clean ROM copy is best for such a situation.

7. blacquity846

blacquity846 Member

thanks for the help all

8. Skane

Skane Well-Known Member

No problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.