1. This forum is in read-only mode.

AoE2 on Linux via Wine

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Vanadium27, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Vanadium27

Vanadium27 New Member

My computer that runs Windows is too slow to handle my favorite games. But, it's the only computer I own that runs Windows, and I'm not buying a new one. All my computers run Linux, so I'm trying to get all my favorite Windows games working on Linux (via Wine) before I buy Guild Wars 2. I started with Age of Empires II (the plain one, not the expansion). It gave me an error:

Last night, after two hours of research, the problem was solved by making Wine emulate a virtual desktop. Today, however, it gives me the error even though that setting is in place. Three hours of research this time turned up nothing effective. Can someone please help me with this?

Thanks for answers.

UPDATE: I upgraded my Wine upon the recommendation of WineHQ's app database. It is now not only giving me a DirectDraw error but is also giving me an error telling me to install the .NET Framework.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Re: AoE2/Linux

wine and games is a crapshoot, it doesn't support directx properly.

3. Vanadium27

Vanadium27 New Member

True. But as I said, I got it to work before, then it stopped working. I don't know what the problem is now. But the first time, I ended up not actually having to install DirectX.

4. serhat359

serhat359 Well-Known Member

maybe you didn't install the graphics drivers? just a guess

5. Vanadium27

Vanadium27 New Member

Such operation is impossible. :/