1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anyone here know any programming language?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anandjones, Feb 27, 2008.

1. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

It can be html, c++ java etc. I know a bit of C++ now, just been learning last couple of weeks, I know basic functions and headers and variables etc.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

HTML, C++ (a bit) Visual Basic 6, DOS Basic, PHP and X86 Assembler :)

3. err

err Well-Known Member

I'm really hoping I can get into Java programming next year. I don't know anything so I hope it's not too hard, I'm a total nerd so I'll be able to understand a lot of terms better than those wannabe preppy losers who think they're smart. I passed the pre-test so I guess it can't be that bad.

4. Void

Void Well-Known Member

I can do a bit of Java, I'm taking a course on it now.

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm learning C++ now so when I go to college, I'll take C++ programming courses, and it'll be a breeze to pass and I'll take it anyway just to see if I've learned a lot of C++ and to fill any gaps.

6. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

VB, VB.net, C++ and C is what i know, although most of the time i only use VB.net right now....

7. nameroc

nameroc Member

Let's see...

I'm really proficent in Java and used it for a lot of minor and major projects. I've developed working applications with C#, VB.NET, C, Javascript, PHP and SQL (not exactly a programming language, but still). I'm working on C++, x86 Assembly and Python and I'm quite interested in the progress of Cobra.

8. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Fairly proficient in HTML and Java, and can hold my own in C++...

9. err

err Well-Known Member

Which is better to learn, Java or HTML? I need to pick one since I can only choose 1. Also, which one is harder?

10. Loonylion

HTML is not a programming language, it is a markup language for webpages and is very simple. Java is a full programming language and is a fairly complex one. You cannot compare them because they are not even for the same purpose.

11. iamlegend

Why do you need to pick one ?
    It really depends what path you want to go down....

12. err

err Well-Known Member

I need to pick one because my schedule only allows me to take one. I'm already gonna have Chinese I and Spanish IV classes next year. I can only fit 1 more class.

I was just saying: Which "skill" is better to learn? I can handle a tough subject. Polymorphism, inheritance, exception handling, file l/O, streaming. Apparently that's what I'm to expect, doesn't sound too bad right? [/sarcasm]
    While in HTML you seem to use a program called DreamWeaver.... No idea... Maybe I should drop Spanish, I'm already good at that.
    Either way, I'm taking 1 no matter what.

13. iamlegend

I would go for Java....
    HTML is easy enough to learn in your spare time....

I must stress though....there is no similarity whatsoever...
    Java is a proper programming language which you can use to do all manner of things...
    HTML is a mark-up language purely for creating HTML pages...

If you choose HTML, you might wish to learn a bit about Java applets...

14. Loonylion

Dreamweaver is cheating, it writes all the code for you.

15. Void

Void Well-Known Member

You're gonna want to go with Java on this one. HTML is significantly more basic, if you're interested in using it, you likely won't have any problem doing so on your own, especially with simple Java knowledge. And, as Loony has informed you, HTML is used for creating web pages, whereas Java is your full-fledged language, where you compile and use programs and such. Also, by learning Java, you open yourself up to opportunities in C++, which is arguably one of the most powerful languages up there, and is quite similar to Java (C++, among others, is an influence on Java. Java is more modern, and some would say simpler, yet less powerful).

16. nameroc

nameroc Member

What criteria did you use when classifying Java as less powerful than C++, if we were to ignore the obvious loss of execution speed coming from being a Just-In-Time compiled language? I'm just curious.

17. Loonylion

It is less efficient code wise.

18. Relys

Relys Well-Known Member

Real programmers don't even need paper!

19. nameroc

nameroc Member

I actually wanted to know how exactly it was inefficent, code wise? I know it doesn't execute as fast as C or C++ as it has to run on a virtual machine, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's less powerful.

Also, real programmers use a magnetized needle and flip the bits on the hdd individually. :p

20. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

I know HTML, Java; just starting to learn C/C++. As someone said before HTML is more basic, and easier to learn. Java is a step up, providing you with a lot more capabilities. I recommend HTML first :)