1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anyone good at chemistry and knows a lot of corrosion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShyriaXil, Apr 11, 2010.

1. ShyriaXil

ShyriaXil Active Member

I need some help with a school assignment...
    and during the holidays... ==" thought i had some freedom D: lol
    but yea... onto the topic, need some help with my assignment, just some background research
    i need to know:
    1. why does salt water conduct more electricity than regular water?
    2. how does the level of conductivity of electricity change the rate of corrosion in iron?
    3. what is inside of anti rust paint that makes the paint anti rust and protects the nail?

i would really appreciate it if people would help me >.< i need this done before school starts which is practically after tomorrow lol
    and OMG got another assignment for media to do...

2. gaynorvader

gaynorvader Well-Known Member

I think reading this will answer your questions, at least your first two. Your last question is that rust is the oxidisation of iron, it needs water and oxygen to rust, so when it's coated in paint the nail is not exposed to air and so doesn't corrode.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

1) pure water does not conduct electricity. adding salt adds choride ions to the solution, it is these ions that carry the charge, allowing it to conduct.

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

Anti-rust paint will generally have an agent that will oxidise instead of the iron. One example is zinc - zinc oxide will then act as a barrier against further corrosion of the iron.

5. ShyriaXil

ShyriaXil Active Member

ok thank you all very much >.<
    man i love romulation very much for this lol

6. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Besides paint, another method of reducing corrosion in the real world is, as my chemistry teacher puts it, "anode sacrifice". In places where it's not viable to use anti-rust paint (underground pipes, for example) the iron pipes are connected to another metal acting as an anode aka a reductor. The reductor (magnesium usually) will corrode in place of the iron in the iron pipes.

7. ShyriaXil

ShyriaXil Active Member

lol that sounds... pro :L
    but I'm only doing an experiment for iron nails and i chose to protect with anti rust paint, normal paint and zinc wire cause the teacher said keep it simple lol... would've gone for some other complicated stuff but yea... :L