1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anyone affected because of the Icelandic volcano?

Discussion in 'General News' started by stirgo1212, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stirgo1212

stirgo1212 Well-Known Member

As many of you Europeans have heard, the EU is in total aviation lockdown due to volcanic ash floating from an Icelandic volcano. I was just wondering if any of you guys have been affected by this. Normally, some planes should resume normal services tomorrow but there is no guarantee. One of my friends gets to miss school because he's stuck in New York on holiday. Bugger, i wish i was on holiday.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Not everywhere in europe is locked down. Spain is allowing limited flights, and I believe some other countries are as well.

3. MessoMesso

MessoMesso Well-Known Member

I'm fine here, but I'm really wondering what would've happened if that lady from Minnesota decided to send that Russian boy back just a few days later.

4. Loonylion

that was several weeks ago so it wouldnt have made any difference. only a very small part of russia is affected by the dust at this point, and planes can still fly at high altitude over europe (because its above the dust cloud) they just cant take off or land in most of europe because they'd have to go through it.

5. planes can't fly above 12000 meters (about 16 miles ) and that's about the highest planes go

i was stuck in Greece a couple of days cause i couldn't fly back to Belgium

6. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

My dad was stuck in Spain and my mother was stuck in Italy, I imagine it must have been horrible not being able to get home, also expensive, not exactly like they're paid to be absent from work.

7. Loonylion

Dust was at 20,000-35,000 feet, planes can fly above that.

8. 35000 feet is to my calculations about 10000 meters most planes go to 12000 but if they fly over the cloud they first have to fly through it right??

9. Loonylion

depends. if they are taking off or landing in Europe then yes they have to fly through it. If they're taking off somewhere else they can probably reach a high enough altitude before they come to the dust cloud.

10. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

yep,
    some friends of mine who went to spain on vacation :/

11. Griffandir14

Griffandir14 Well-Known Member

It made wrestling that Monday interesting/boring. All the wrestlers were in Europe on tour, they had to bring in the second stringers from the other show. No I am not into wrestling, my family is.

12. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

what is the connection of wrestling to the volcano?

13. stirgo1212

You'll be surprised....

14. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

if thats the new move they are inventing, then i would be surprised

15. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I agree, smackdown and its wrestlers suck

16. Griffandir14

Hey sylar, is that any way to talk about the Undertaker! He's like 17 Chuck Norris' combined.

17. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Taker is old, chuck norris is overplayed and dumb

18. stirgo1212

This is of topic. What does chuck norris have to do with WWE smackdown and a volcano? ROFL

19. Griffandir14

My post stated it but... The wrestlers who appear on WWE Raw were caught in the volcano as they were on tour in Europe, so for that episode of Raw, the wrestlers who appeared on Smackdown replaced them.

20. Loonylion

the restrictions were lifted a week ago but have now been reimposed in northern scotland, northern ireland and the republic of ireland (at least parts of the republic) as more ash has arrived.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.