1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Any Tex Avery Maniacs here? What's your favorite short o'his?

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by personuser, Aug 21, 2010.

1. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

I can't be the only guy here who loves Tex Avery's Cartoons.

So, what are your faves? Mine's gotta be Screwball Squirrel (1944). Not only was it hilarious, it was WAY ahead of its time in gag history! It was one of (if not the first) cartoons to use a gag where the whole cartoon freezes up (in this case due to a malfunctioning record player) and the fact that Screwy beats the shit outta the cutesy disney squirrel to ensure a comedic cartoon is just awesome. The modern day equivalent would probably be if Hannah Montanna was shot to lower disney demographics and allow cartoon network to bring back late 90s-early '00s shows.

One thing I've always thought too was that Screwy was a direct inspiration for Conker. C'MON. They both are red squirrels, Their voices are NEARLY IDENTICAL (with conker's only sounding a tad more british), they both beat up/harm innocent (but interfering) creatures in their VERY FIRST APPEARANCE, not counting pocket tales (Screwy with the disney-esque squirrel and Conker with the N64 Logo) And there is a "freeze up gag" In BOTH of their mediums (screwy with the record player, conker with the overlooked game flaw that makes the game lock up)

Anyway, that's my favorite. What's yours?

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

He's a genius. I really enjoy Chuck Jones though...he's a god in animation.