1. This forum is in read-only mode.

"Antivirus" ads on Megaupload?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by insanecrazy07, Mar 28, 2010.

1. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I'm not entirely sure if this belongs on the General Discussion, but I recently just hit a download link on Megaupload and I got this popup with a "My Computer" looking screen and claiming that my computer is infected. This only came up when the 45 second timer is done and I clicked the link.

Is it possible that Megaupload is responsible for such a shitty attempt at getting me to download this "antivirus" or is it something on my computer that triggers it only when I download from Megaupload?

Depending on whether it is the site or a local issue, Megaupload has become a sellout or I have something on my computer. I'm 90% sure it's the former though.

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

It's an ad that they try to get you to click on when you download from their site as a free user...

That's one reason why I use JDownloader.

3. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

It's to do with the ad provider they chose I'd believe and not megaupload directly...

If you know the proper channels (cause I don't) complain about the ads to them.

4. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Megaupload has had pop up ads tied to their download links for quite a while. Clicking the link will start the download, but also try to pop an ad up. It's been like that for at least the past few months that I can remember.

Free websites run using ads, it's just the nature of the beast. Of course, better sites control the content and safety of their ads very well :)

5. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

This site keeps throwing Ads at me-about Betfair Poker

1.I already have an account
    2.Im trying to stop playing

6. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I think being a member (even paying) means it just minimises adds, not cut them out altogether.

7. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Sorry Rocky,I mean I have an account with Betfair.They are a minor irritation,but the whole page Ads on psp.isoz are much worse.I may have to read the help settings on AdBlock plus to get it to work properly.

8. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Yes, sites use ads selected by a 3rd party ad agency, who are responsible for the content of the ads. Most agencies do not allow malicious ads such as the scareware one you mentioned, but the scammers peddling the scareware find ways of sneaking it past. If you complain to megaupload detailing on what page you encountered the ad, and the url of the ad, they should notify their ad agency.

9. CloudBoii12

CloudBoii12 Well-Known Member

>> Implying RomUlation is a better site than megaupload.