1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anti-theory: on mobile games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knightroad, Mar 30, 2009.

1. knightroad

knightroad Well-Known Member

Reading around various gaming mags/blogs on line I have noticed a general theory being floated about mobile games. Most of the articles talk about whether the iphone is the next greatest hand held gaming device, others talk about the market share mobile games are gaining, and still others talk about whether mobile games played on cell phones/ smart phones is likely to replace more traditional portable gaming devices like the DS or the PSP.

But my experience was actually the opposite of the above notions.

I grew up with various classic consoles, NES, Genesis, and Atari 2600, and I always wanted a Gameboy. My parents never bought me one and as a kid, I never had the money.

Years later, as an adult, I bought Rainbow Six Lockdown and Socom Navy Seals for my Motorola cell phone. It left me wanting. When Contra 4 came out I got that for my cell phone too. It was unplayable.

Finally, I got fed up.

I bought a DS Lite and Contra 4.

The rest is history.

Now I have a PSP too, and I love gaming on the go.

So instead of mobile games replacing the DS/PSP, it all but forced me to buy a DS/PSP because playing those games on a cell phone was just teasing me/ driving me crazy!

So for discussion, do you play mobile games on a phone?

Are games on a iphone really worth playing?

Or did it just drive you nuts until you bought a DS or PSP? ::)

I'm wondering what all the hype is about, maybe its just because I don't own a smart phone, or is it just hype?

[​IMG]

2. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

In my opinion the iPhone is not a gaming platform, it just something that's able to play games, just like how it's also able to go on the net, listen to music, watch videos. It's main purpose is a phone.

That and if it was a viable game platform then it'd have buttons, I have played a lot of games on an iPhone/Touch and it sorely misses the buttons.

3. knightroad

I agree with you.

In fact I secretly wanted to write this post as a rant, something along the lines of:

"Phone games do not belong on my gaming websites dammit!"

But held back trying to be objective, but secretly I hate the iphone....... and I haven't even tried it yet........

never mind now it isn't secret anymore........

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Try it first, then you could have a hands on opinion.

from my experience it's very hard to play, because if there's touch buttons on the screen, then they take up a part of the screen. And even great games like Rolando are difficult because touching the screen and moving around the Phone is tough and unreliable.

5. knightroad

Thanks for your opinion.  ;D

Because chances are I won't get to try it for myself.

(My friends don't have one, and I refuse to change carriers or pay the extra money for an unlocked one.)

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

An iPod Touch can play the same games as an iPhone.

iPhone - phone = iPod Touch

7. hazynighthawk

hazynighthawk Well-Known Member

yeah i have an itouchh and games on it are stupid soo i dont see why people buy them or like em. also i have a blackberry storm for my cell and thats not any better for games.. no way will we ever migrate from mobile gaming systems i love my ds and would never ever get rid of it for a phone .

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

...except for tetris, almost all mobile games suck.

I hate it more when carrier's don't refund or even contact you when a game refuses to work! (doomrpg-now I hate you far, far more, EA, challenge everything yeah challenge MY POCKET!)

9. knightroad

Reply to hazynighthawk: Wow, so you've tried the ipod touch and a smart cell phone aka the storm and neither had decent games? You'd think by the hoopla these gaming websites are making over mobile games that something other than tetris would be worth playing on them!

Reply to mds64: ...man, that happened to me too! The first time I downloaded Socom Navy Seals for my Motorola the app would open and then freeze every time. I asked them to give me a fresh install because of this, but they said no you have to pay again. Finally, I got fed up, and I got my carrier to refund me the money for the first install and then I re-downloaded it. Worked fine after that, but cheese, I am sooo glad I have a PSP now because Socom is actually playable on it!