1. This forum is in read-only mode.

another obnoxious question about flashcart...

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by sbacio, Sep 15, 2014.

1. sbacio

sbacio Active Member

hi,
    i'm sorry to bother you with another topic abouth flashcards...
    i came into possession of a 3ds recently, and the firmware is an old 3.0
    so i thought "that's great, i can buy a flashcard!"
    but then i saw that only 4.0 to 4.5 fw are supported
    how can i upgrade without going too far with the newer fws?
    which flashcard is the best? i'm not really too much into spending 80 euros in a flashcard... so i would like to avoid the gateway if possible and if i don't lose too much qualitywise

sorry for my casual english but i'm italian

2. Benburnside

Benburnside New Member

So do you want to play 3ds roms, since all 3ds cards can only work on 3DS v4.1-4.5. However, 3ds cards are all expensive, and the gateway 3ds is the best 3ds card in the market till now. The cheaper one then is the mt card, but not that cheaper, usually at $65. And as to how to update your 3ds to the v4.1-4.5, maybe you need a real 3ds game card to update, or you can only update to the latest 8.x.

But if you just want to play normal ds roms, then recommend you dstwo card, it can support the latest 3ds v8.1.0-19, so you just need to update your card into the latest version. DSTwo is the absolute number one choice for a DS mode flashcart. It has the best available SNES/GBA emulators for DS and pretty much guaranteed compatibility with the latest 3DS firmwares. It can also used to play gba roms. If you for some reason don't want the DSTwo (too expensive, you don't care about the emulators, etc, its price is at around $45, i got my dstwo from r4depot site, $41 if i remembered correctly ) and just want cheaper, but still reliable flashcart, you should look for this one: r4i gold 3ds.

3. sbacio

sbacio Active Member

so to play 3ds roms i should spend:
    - 65/85 $ to buy a 3ds flashcart
    - 10/30$ (depending on when i buy it and if it's new or not) for a game that update my sistem up to 4.1/4.5

i think i'll take my time to decide what card to buy, and in the meantime i'll buy that game so i could enjoy it to the fullest

so, when can i find a list of games that updates my 3ds to a 4.x firmware? and how do i do the process? do i just need to insert the card and follow instructions?

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

The latest 3DS firmware is v.8.1.0-19. Certain game cart will demand you to have a 3DS running a certain MINIMUM firmware version. And if your console is below the needed firmware version, it'll demand you update it first online. And by doing so, you'll be directed to the latest version available from Nintendo. You don't get to choose to which version you want to go to. Understand? Or let's me illustrate further;

e.g.
    Your 3DS console is running v.3.X firmware, you buy a Pokémon Y official game that requires the console at least running v.4.5 firmware, the Nintendo website has v.8.1 firmware update. At present you can't play Pokémon Y because the console is below v.4.5. When you choose to upgrade your console's firmware, it goes to v.8.1 not to v.4.5. And by doing so, you get to play Pokémon Y because it's above v.4.5. However by doing so, removes your ability to use 3DS rom flash cartridge player.

Further note, that official game cartridges do not contain/provide certain firmware version update! It's only available from the Nintendo's online store. And yeah, to play present available 3DS rom flash cartridges you need v.4.1. - v.4.5 firmware. I don't know if it's possible to use such cartridges on a console running a firmware lower than that mentioned. But any running above v.4.5 is a big NO! To play NDS rom on NDS rom flash cartridge there's no firmware minimum requirements, just make sure to get a flash cartridge that has continuous official support from it's cart maker. Grab one that can run the latest 3DS console firmware version. You do need to use a 3DS console below v.4.5. to perform the cartridge initial kernel installation, any 3DS console running firmware above v.4.5, will require you to use older NDS console or DSi below v.1.4.5.

5. sbacio

sbacio Active Member

so, it's not possible to update my 3.0 to a 4.5?

6. Prectorian

Nope! Solution? Trade it in for one that's between v.4.1 to v.4.5 version.
    How to know? Test run in at the store before buying.

7. sbacio

sbacio Active Member

i got it from a friend that didn't use it, i don't think i can trade it at a store xD
    searching on google i found a website, it says that some 3ds games update the 3ds at a determinate fw version. so is this informatione false?

8. Prectorian

It's not false, you just misinterpreted it. It means the 3DS console if running a firmware below the needed firmware spec as per required by the game, will demand the 3DS owner to go online and perform an upgrade before letting the console owner play the said game. But that doesn't mean the game itself contain the said firmware. The console owner as I've said, have to go online to the 3DS estore, and upgrade the console to the latest firmware as per provided by Nintendo. In current situation, that would take your console to v.8.1.0. You don't get the luxury to choose to which firmware version you want; non negotiable. And just because let's say you've Pokémon Y in the game slot and that game requires a minimum 3DS firmware v.4.5.0 to play, doesn't then means when you go online to upgrade your console, it'll become v.4.5.0 when there's already v.8.1.0 available. It'll automatically send you to download the v.8.1.0. As the saying goes, 'beggars can't be choosers'. And when it goes to the latest firmware version, there's no going back.

So here's the deal, since you got the 3DS console for free. So, either;
    1. Buy original 3DS games until such a time Gateway/other 3DS rom player is able to be played on 3DS firmware above v.4.5.
    2. Trade/Sell it for another 3DS console running v.4.1-v.4.5 if you're so desperate to play 3DS rom
    3. Grab a DSTWO/R4i Gold 3DS and play NDS rom on it if buying an original 3DS game or Gateway exceed your budget.

9. sbacio

sbacio Active Member

i'm sorry for the absence, but i had some problems with internet. now i'm back!
    i don't think i misinterpreted this website... i don't know if i can link it but i can copy some of the things he says

Upgrading

In order to upgrade to a specific version of firmware, you have to buy a game which was made during that time when the firmware was "latest".

Note: This only works for upgrading. It is not possible to downgrade using this method!

Once you've picked the game you want to buy, run it. The game will check your firmware and if your firmware is older than the one it came with, you'll be asked to upgrade to the firmware included with the game.

and then there's a list of titles

10. messywhite

messywhite Active Member

The three ways is only you can do just now and if u choose the third, many online site such as, 3ds-flashcard, REV3DS or offcial site of r4 card all are reliable shop to buy r4i gold and dstwo.