1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anime Review : Ef - A Tale of Memories

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by crazytuna, Aug 10, 2009.

1. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

So this is my first review ever, here it is.

Ef - A Tale of Memories
    [​IMG]

Yes it is true, on the outside, Ef - A Tale of Memories looks like any normal romance animes, two persons meet, character development, fall in love, the end. Well yes, Ef does follow that kind of storyline (actually they all do), but that's not the point here. Frankly, this serie has been under-rated, and it was by chance that I fell on it, and I must say, I was really lucky that day.

Now what makes Ef - A Tale of Memories so different from other romance animes such as Love Hina, Ichigo 100%, To-Love-Ru, Tora Dora? They all follow the simple road of romance animes, right? It's not even that double story telling that makes it unique (it handles it very well by the way), what makes it so unique, is its cast of characters. Every single character in Ef has this feeling where you can hate them and love them at the same time. Either to the light-hearted Renji, the child-like Chihiro, the tsundere-kind Kei, the hardworking Hiro or the confused Miyako.

But really, what made me watch Ef until the end? Clearly not because of the kind of story, but that huge shock they give you right from the start about Chihiro, it only takes a girl, back to the camera and some awesome looking background, and one line to make you watch this, until the very end. But that's not all, since Ef has this two stories at the same time system, you just can't wait for the other story development making you feel that the waiting is torture.

Animation
    : 9/10

The animation in Ef was done by Shaft, and Shaft is recognized as a color animation group, which means adding alot of colours and effects. Sometimes that technique doesn't work at all, but strangely, in Ef, that kind of animation worked perfectly for this one. Clearly Ef has made some major improvement in the animation work, in the background scneries such as the final scene (that scene was freaking awesome by the way). Each setting for each scenes are pefectly done and fit perfectly the kind of dialogue said. Clearly this one is a masterpiece in animation. The only downpoint in this, are the characters, they look just normal compared to the sceneries and backgrounds, which is a shame really.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I mean look at that o_O
    Characters : 8/10

The characters are what made Ef awesome. The character development in this one is not even comparable to other ones, considering this one was more psychological based than emotional based. But there was something in the characters that made me rate this down, is the lack of introduction for characters. You have to figure each character out by the hints given in the dialogue (strangely all the characters are somehow related), but what makes this go up, is really the leading characters, either Miyako and Hiro or Chihiro and Renji, but the last two really steal the show for this one.

Sound
    : 10/10

The soundtracks, the dialogue, the voice actors, all were more than awesome, they were simply remakable. The soundtrack was perfectly used in every scene, it fitted perfectly the scene where it was used. The voice actors, not the ones with the most credits, but clearly have put all they got when they did Ef. And the dialogue was simply brilliant, every single words hitted you. Now who could have thought only five minutes of dialogues and words scrolling on the screen could have been so intense? Really the sounds in this one are unbelievable.

Overall: 9/10

I know some of you think that I'm just a fanboy writing a lame review, but this one really deserves the score it has, it's not the perfect romance/drama anime out there, but it really is worth the time, a little bit short though, 12 episodes, but I think that it was the perfect size (you don't want to make these kinds of animes too long). I really think that Ef - A Tale of Memories should be set as an example for future animes not just romance, but every kind, you have to take the viewers right from the start and never let them go. Even if you're not into these kinds of romance/drama animes, you should give this one a try, because I guarantee you that you will not only love it, you will adore it. And if you don't shed just a tear at the end, then you don't have a heart or you just don't have emotions.

The Good:
    - top notch arts
    - great story, smart character development
    - awesome soundtrack

The Bad
    - Not much to say, except that one of the stories get a tad bit boring compared to the other

[​IMG]

2. forte_amirul

forte_amirul Well-Known Member

I never though an anime review need to put a pic.Hmm,yeah,I'll add it later.

Anyway,nice job tuna!

Once again,tunaman rescue the day.:p

3. crazytuna

I've read some other reviews before and adding pictures always help :D

and thanks, I think for a first time it looks good :D

4. Dynodevil

Dynodevil Well-Known Member

While the anime in question is not to my taste it was a good review dude. I hope this anime reviewing takes off with more members too.

So yeah, Nice job! :)

5. crazytuna

It does't have to be for your taste, frankly, I used to hate romance animes like Love Hina and all the rest, but after watching this, I thought every one of them are as awesome as this one, but I think I was wrong, Ef is a one of a kind story, you should really give it a try.

You see it`s that kind of attitude that makes people nmiss such great animes,
    you have to open up to every kind of stuff

6. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Nice and short review!!
    *thumbs up!!*

I'll post mine tomorrow. :)

7. crazytuna

I dont get it, if this is short, I wonder what's long then?
    9ninebreaker9's reviews are way too long I think :p

and thanks Mega

8. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

I'd say this is a medium-length review. Not too short and not too long, though I usually prefer longer reviews.

I've already started downloading Ef, but haven't had a chance to start watching it yet.

9. jasonT929

jasonT929 Active Member

yeah man came out great, think i might do a review soon too

10. crazytuna

Haha 2 of my friends read this review and now they're watching Ef too :D

11. JTakashiNe

JTakashiNe Well-Known Member

Good review tuna. I put it on my to view list for later. To busy right now.

12. nhi_po

nhi_po Well-Known Member

wow.. this takes dedicationXD
    i still dont understand ef a whole lot, but your review helped me! thanks XP
    words speak louder than minds, and
    a picture is worth a thousand words

13. crazytuna

ha wait til you see the end
    a picture is indeed worth a thousand words

14. nhi_po

nhi_po Well-Known Member

oh gosh.... spoilers!XPXDPXDPXDP
    Post Merge: [time]1252374065[/time]
    oh gosh.... spoilers!XPXDPXDPXDP

15. crazytuna

yeah major spoilers >_>

I was about to write something really stupid...

16. nhi_po

nhi_po Well-Known Member

well, glad you didnt

17. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

-You could put some shots from the show though, not about scenery or background.

18. crazytuna

Seeing how short this show is, I'll try to find one spoilerless cause every second is used wisely here, but I cant do much right now on an ipod

19. evannick

evannick Well-Known Member

me havent watchee it

20. crazytuna

you go do that right now!