1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anime Review - Chaos;Head

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by crazytuna, Dec 29, 2009.

1. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

It's time for a review! Here Rockkkkkk read this and you'll know if you should watch Chaos;Head or not

Chaos;Head
    [​IMG]
    "Whose eyes are those eyes?"​

So I've recently finished watching CANAAN and Chaos;Head, both of them are based off video games (a shame these days every anime is based of something, the producers these days have no originality left or what?) and I had to chose one of them to review. Lucky you, Mr. Takasaki, because your show got the role! Now. now, now, why did I exactly choose Chaos;Head instead of CANAAN? I have no idea, maybe because of Ayase who strangely looks too much like Rei, nonetheless I chose Chaos;Head, it was that or some crappy other show. By the way, don't get fooled by the picture, Chaos;Head is a gory psychological, so that picture does not represent the mood in the series.

[​IMG]
    Rei and Ayase (COMPARE FOOLS)​

Chaos;Head follows Takumi, a high school student who skips school to play MMORPGs and watch animes all day long, so yeah, he's a massive otaku, so he's enjoying his crazy life until he receives an image URL through a chat room. The image sent was a picture of a pretty sick murder. Oh and what's that? SAME MURDER THE NEXT DAY. This event is only part of a chain of events going on in Shibuya nicknamed the "New Generation", it's basically a chain of suicides events, massive murders, stuff like that. After that event, Takumi's normal life is going to get disturbed by more and more weird events, like crazy girls with huge bad-ass swords, rampaging trucks, and so on.

If you're still with me after reading the SUMMARY, wait until you have read the in-depth story before jumping off a building. The show itself is about delusions and stuff related to that, I think that Takumi has a severe case of schizophrenia because half of the show, he's just thinking things that drive him crazier and crazier. So anyway, those girls with big-bad ass swords that he meets throughout the series carry Di-Swords, those swords are some kind of delusional transmitter, they amplify the delusions made by the wielder and make them become true. For example, if I imagine a car, the Di-Sword will make that car true to everybody, but technically, it's just an illusion created by my mind. Get it? No? It's fine I didn't get it too. So these girls are called Gigalomaniacs (haha what a lame name) and supposedly, Takumi is one of them and they have to save the world by destroying a huge delusional machine that sends delusional waves to all people in Shibuya, and all that was predicted by the Great Will whatever/whoever that is. THAT's the real story.

If you're not dead yet, let's begin the review!

Animation : 8/10

Chaos;Head, being a late 2008 show, has some pretty decent graphics and animations. Nice looking character drawings. Since it's done by Madhouse, no wonder the graphics are well done (Gunslinger Girl, Death Note, Trigun, etc...) While watching Chaos;Head, the graphics are going to give this romance feeling that shouldn't be there, but it's a good thing since it just doesn't match with the theme of the series. Only reason I gave this an eight, was the Di-sword animation, it was, yes I admit it, awesome.

[​IMG]
    Kozue's Di-Sword
    [​IMG]
    Rei's... I mean Ayase's Di-sword​
    [​IMG]
    Sena's Di-Sword
    [​IMG]
    A delusion? Is it?​

I'm missing some girls here, I know...

Characters : 7/10

Chaos;Head had some nice characters too, all the typical romance ones. You got the caring sister, the caring friend that cares too much to be just a friend, the Rei-style one, the bad-ass ones that always goes around with some kind of weapon, you know those characters. With only 12 episodes, you usually don't have the time for character development, but I think they did well for this series. Takumi, he passed to wuss to party leader for a group of crazy chicks (spoiler by the way, I think). Kozue, couldn't speak at all, only through telepathy, and after some time with Takumi, she starts talking again, Yua realizes that she has to move on. All and all, it was ok. The fact that the characters were so typical brought this down a little, and maybe Takumi's voice too, it was horrible. Oh and Sena is so hot. =3

Story : 5/10

The story... This is where Chaos;Head loses every points possible. The story, it had some potential, a lot of potential to be one of the greatest story ever, but the producers ruined it. They rushed all the explanations, and by the time you finally understood one, they push in some more explanations, getting more and more complicated. Basically, you're just watching a show where you don't understand anything, which is not really enjoying it. It's like eating good food while sick, you know it's good, but you can't really taste it. Chaos;Head's story had great potential and was very original, but the way they explained it, was just a big no. Maybe because it was the lack of time and episodes, if they had maybe 24 episodes, it would have been better, it would let us some time to eat the information before throwing us some more.

Sound : 8/10

Sound, music, opening and ending themes, all of them were actually really good. I especially liked the ending, Super Special by Seira Kagami, but that's just me. Decent background music. Nothing extraordinary in the music department and nothing too lame too.
    Chaos;Head ending theme

Overall : 7/10

Overall, Chaos;Head was a fine anime was somehow a rollercoaster watch for me. Either way, I can love it for it's characters and music, or I can hate for it's way of explaining the story, which was really bad, well I still have to give them credit for trying to explain this story, it's quite hard to understand. Usually, when I don't understand the story, I rewatch the anime, but I didn't even bother for this one, because I just... didn't bother... Anyway, i can't really recommend this one for everybody, unless you played the game (which I didn't even) or have a high capacity at understanding complicated explanations in a really short lapse of time, then give Chaos;Head a try. If not, there's going to be chaos in your head while watching this ;)

The Good
    - Good music
    - Great character development
    - Good action scenes

The Bad
    - Great potential wasted
    - Characters are too typical

[​IMG]

And that's all guys, see you later!​

2. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

NICE....I have the full series on my site ^^

Nice wikipedia copy XD

3. crazytuna

wikipedia? are you retarded?
    first of all wiki does not post reviews
    and second only idiots would copy from wikipedia

4. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

tru true...Nice review then ^^

5. crazytuna

I cant believe you actually thought this was from Wikipedia >_>
    disappointing Rock...

6. rock91

rock91 Well-Known Member

Sowy. Me dum :(

7. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

You can trust tuna for his review, which have the originality.

Nice review yet again tuna, not too long, not too short,
    a well structured text, and good score you give there.

and I noticed there are some spoiler in it(don't worry, its not that many).
    Oh yeah, no need to do some comparison though. XD

If you have played the VN version(which have some H in it),
    you can understand the storyline easily, and it also offer different endings with different heroines,
    compared to the anime version, which only have 13 episodes with little explanation of the story.

There are some rumor that,
    this anime will have its sequel.

8. crazytuna

yeah I wrote some spoilers... couldn't resist...
    but come on, REI'S IN EVERY SERIE NOW
    the review itself was more for the people who didn't play any of the VNs, it was the anime only

and screw S2, if it's as incomprehensible as this, screw it

9. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Don't worry, it was just a rumor.

10. evannick

evannick Well-Known Member

i like Rimi's Di-sword the most

11. crazytuna

Rimi? really?
    it didn't even look like a sword...