1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Anime Review - Cencoroll

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga & Cartoons' started by crazytuna, Nov 2, 2009.

1. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

Been a long time now, so yeah freaking review!

Cencoroll
    [​IMG]

Cencoroll is an anime movie, 30 minutes long, that was first showed in Canada (oh yeah baby) based on a one-shot manga by Atsuya Uki, so don't expect a sequel for this (hopefully just for now). One impressive thing is that it was almost single produced by the man himself.

Alright, first don't get deceived by the picture, cause it's not a freaking mecha anime,because that thing is a white blob. Anyway, the story is basically about a guy (Tetsu) who has this white blob called Cenco that can transform into anything, soon enough his secret is found by his friend (Yuki). Basically strange things attract more strange things right? Well you're right because another boy with a same kind of monster appears in town and challenges Tetsu to a battle and instantly an unexpected battle starts. At the same time, another one of those white thing appeared on a skycraper, menacing the whole city, and forcing the National Defenses to mobilize.

Ok after reading something like that any kind of person would be WTF? Nonetheless I was like that at first too, but the plot somehow intrigued me, since it was something new, something fresh. We get too much of the same genre of series now, like the Bleach/Naruto style I-must-get-stronger-to-beat-the-hell-out-of-my-rivals, the romance genre, that is simply too cliché, we always know what happens, it always gets boring after a while. Basically, the industry is missing new material, something that's going to completely feed our originality needs.

And that's when white blob comes in, Cencoroll is something new, something so out-of-nowhere that it completely took me by surprise with its mind-blasting production. So let's get to the review shall we?

Animation : 8/10

Being an almost one-man production, don't set your graphical needs as high as 5 Centimeters Per Second, cause Cencoroll definitely doesn't have state-of-the-art graphics, but they do what they were supposed to do, simple, but not too simple, just right. Characters are well-done, but what's really lacking is the background. But then again, when he action kicks in, the animation gets way better, I don't know why. Good thing is he doesn't put those cutey-lovey eyes on all the characters, well that might be me only.

[​IMG]
    See what I mean? backgrounds ​

Characters : 7/10

30 minutes, that's the length of a normal anime episode, so how can you manage to actually develop the characters? Well Atsuya manages to do that, but only a little bit. Tetsu at first, looks like one emo kid, that keeps everything to himself, trying to keep his secret to himself only, but throughout the movie, he finally opens up to Yuki, who almost forced herself on him, after finding Cenco's true identity. Well for 30 minutes that's plenty of development I think.

Story : 10/10

Now this is where Cencoroll gets its true potential, the story. It's just so weird at first that it gets brilliant. It certainly is something different from all the other stuff we've been getting recently. Cencoroll offers something that's been lacking right now, surprise, you just don't know what's going to happen next, keeping on your couch for all the thirty minutes. Usually, a fight between monsters would happen in an open spaced right? like in a city, or even on plains or mountains, but what the hell, Cencoroll offers you a whole scene IN the monster. (that might have been a spoiler). And you know what? the characters aren't even fighting to be heros or anything, not for honor, not to be received awards. But they still fight, like two kids who fight just for fun.

Sound : 7/10

Nothing much to say here, the ending song was a nice listen, (Love&Roll from Supercell), voice acting was fine, not remarkable and not lame, just voiced with enough emotions. But the songs used in the movie were good, used at the good moments to build up suspense and then BAM awesomeness happens. If this get an OST, I might try to get it.

Overall : 9/10

Well I have to say that this was one of the most interesting finds of the 2009 year I have made (considering the major rip-off that the season 2 of Haruhi was). The major part that frustates me is the fact that Cencoroll is so short, 30 minutes is really not enough for an anime with so much going on, it's almost teasing us to buy the DVDs and get a huge fan-base so that they make more episodes of this. So if you have 30 minutes free, and you're looking for something new and fresh, you know exactly what you should watch. Just pray with me that they make more of this later on.

The Good
    - original, smart, simply great

The Bad
    - episode 2?

[​IMG]

and if you're curious about this, here's the original first trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHX6w0IlBM&feature=fvw&fmt=18

SCREENSHOTS (for Megan >_>)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

and a bunch of them
    [​IMG]

2. meganova

meganova Well-Known Member

Nice, short review there tuna, :D
    As expected from you.

But, maybe you can put more screenshots of it?
    and it is really a 30 minutes movie? OoO

3. crazytuna

ya it's only 30 minutes which is a sad thing really cause this had a lot of pontial
    go watch it, since it's only 30 minutes
    AND IT AIRED IN CANADA FIRST

screenshots you say?

4. meganova

Hell yeah, you've already mentioned it, no need to capital letter those WORDS. ;D

Yes, yes, screenshots...

5. crazytuna

hmm I fond some screenshots, which are really bad quality, but I'm somehow too lazy to do screenshots...

6. meganova

Just post it, don't care whether it will be in good quality or not..

7. crazytuna

yeah posted
    just go watch dude :D

I even have links for you :eek:
    either MegaUpload, Hotfile, or even ZomgUpload

8. meganova

Nice!! *thumbs up!!*

Hmm.... ZomgUpload looks like a friendly DDL to me... ;D

9. crazytuna

hai hai :D
    http://www.zomgupload.com/kab78io2x41h.html

10. nhi_po

nhi_po Well-Known Member

o_O
    its a movie... but its only 30 minutes?

11. crazytuna

jajajajaja
    like I've been repeating, way too short for so much potential

12. meganova

Just ignore it. :D

13. nhi_po

nhi_po Well-Known Member

=o
    hr....mm.....
    i think i will watch this....
    lol...
    blob

14. evannick

evannick Well-Known Member

links from animetake

15. EntropicKitty

EntropicKitty Well-Known Member

I hate 30 min movies... I have too many of them. I should really look at the back of the disc for play times before I buy and download the short stuff. (Like I'm doing now with this one)

=]

EDIT: This does have eng subs yeah? Or is in eng?

16. meganova

Probably in english. ;D

Haven't download it.

17. crazytuna

no Japanese with english subs, if you need another DL link just tell me ;)

and yeah :D

18. kait

kait Well-Known Member

lolz
    i thought it was an anime
    and was waiting for 2nd ep.
    and the movie is nice

19. crazytuna

and that is what I'm waiting for too

20. nhi_po

nhi_po Well-Known Member