1. This forum is in read-only mode.

An image of a mysterious shape on the surface of Mars~~~BBC/World

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kanwarrulz_123, Jan 24, 2008.

1. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

magnified version of the picture, posted on the internet, appears to some to show what resembles a human form among a crop of rocks.

While some bloggers have dismissed the image as a trick of light, others say it is evidence of an alien presence.

The image is a recent Nasa posting of the Spirit's landing in 2004.

Perspective

When the robotic rover set down on 24 January 2004, its images disappointed space-watchers hoping for signs of extraterrestrial life.

Now they appear convinced that this image provides the evidence they have been trawling Nasa's photo files for.

The blown-up image seems to resemble a figure striding among the Martian rocks.

The internet has been abuzz with postings offering theories.

Copenhagen mermaid
    Copenhagen's mermaid: Evidence of Martian settlers?

One said it was a garden gnome, another that it was the Virgin Mary.

A third suggested Bigfoot, the hairy bipedal mountain beast that appears in various guises in a number of legends around the world.

But the consensus seemed to be that it bore a striking resemblance to the Little Mermaid statue in the Danish capital, Copenhagen.

Poster "Madurobob" said it was a statue "obviously built by an ancient civilisation that later departed Mars and settled Denmark".

Badastronomy.com tried to apply some perspective: "A man? It's a tiny rock only a few inches high. It's only a few feet from the rover!"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7205004.stm

2. sir spamalot

sir spamalot Well-Known Member

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yeah, they found a mouse on mars a few years ago...

[​IMG] :p

4. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

^ lol loony.

I dont see any reason why there shouldnt be other life on other planets, humans and the earth arnt everthing (although our anthropocentric veiw says otherwise). But i dont think that life on other planets would look like us, not even close. Weve come through millions of years of evolution to get where we are now, and much of that was influenced by our surroundings and the changes within it. Theres no way that on another planet with completely different stimuli that life would happen to evolve exacly the same. If there was life on mars id say itd probly be more similr to a camel.

5. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Out of all the possibilities... why camel? :p

6. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

well cause they can go for long without water (the only water on mars is at the icecaps so its a long journey) and well all the sand its like a desert. I though it was pretty obvious :p

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Wait, so they're calling me an alien?

I'm cool with that actually, who wants to take a ride on my space ship? Females only.

8. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

loony... you kill me, man... :D

when you think about life in other planets, you feel such a sensation of smallness... try it.

9. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

dude just look at the stars, how many of them there are compared to us, we're only one, we're so insignificant lol

10. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Oh sorry guys, that was me.

11. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

It's most likely a rock at such an angle that it appears as a statue. Do get me wrong, that would be awesome if there was life on mars........like the Bowie song.........ahhhh.........

12. Almo

Almo Well-Known Member

I agree with that 100%

13. kanwarrulz_123

Let's wait until they get to know. :D..But I agree it's probably not an alien.Like,there should have been a hundreds of them living but you can't just see only one.So,it might have been a trick of light or a mere stone.

14. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

Because they live underground.....this one was on the surface for a walk when the rover landed...
    He pretended to be a statue...
    They look like the sand people from Star Wars...

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Yeah I thought that too...

16. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

MUHAHAHA, I just saw the new Family Guy movie, the Sand People on it are freakin' hilarious.

17. kanwarrulz_123

The mystery is solved the scientists have revealed that it is nothing more than a rock..

18. mokrja

mokrja Active Member

I think it's Nessie (AKA Loch Ness Monster). People haven't seen it far a while so who's to say it hasn't skipped planets??? Or something.

19. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Nah guys, that was me...

20. mysticaloctopus

mysticaloctopus Well-Known Member

HROONK! HROONK!