1. This forum is in read-only mode.

American of British English?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by athemoe, Oct 6, 2010.

1. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

which one do you speak/prefer?

2. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

American English is not English and anyone who claims otherwise is wrong and stupid

/thread

3. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

yes it is

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_and_British_English_differences

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki Well-Known Member

What tehuber is trying to get across is that American English is a bastardisation of the intrinsic purity of the English language.

Which is fair enough, both he and I speak English much closer to that used by Britons.

5. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

What is British English

6. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

apart from the fact that all languages are bastardised forms of a previous version of the language...

also, colour and paedophiles.

7. sexywogboy

sexywogboy Well-Known Member

I'm Australian. So I have to use British, like it or not.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I don't use neither :p

I use Philippine English & if I were to choose which variant of English I'd want to use, then my choice is British English either the Scottish variant or the Irish one as I'm so fascinated by their accents.

9. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

I speak English...I guess...

10. Soluri

Soluri Well-Known Member

American. I am half American :)

11. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Its like an accent everyone says things different. Does it really matter we will all be speaking panglish in 100years any how.

12. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I speak American English or whatever the hell I speak. It's English here. Or they say it is.

13. drybones41

drybones41 Well-Known Member

english i think.

14. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

I always envisioned my self to do my thesis defense in Japanese English accent....
    At least if a mispronounced a word and get berated because it, i would kindly tell them to ask a Japanese to say the same word and compare. lol

15. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

Well been English, I would say I speak English.
    I don't really have a preference, as long as I can understand whats been said, it doesn't matter.
    One thing I hate though is sms speak, its single handedly killing the english language. My facebook is full of unintelligible shite.

16. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Not single handedly, it's really only killing the writing of the English language.

I'm mostly worried when I can't understand a thing being spoken, stuff like ebonics totally berates me, mostly because I can't understand a thing being said and because 90% of it is shortened words or slang. And because it's spoken by black people

17. Cheesewizard

Cheesewizard Well-Known Member

British English, i don't like America anyhow. Japan will prevail :)

18. markswan

markswan Well-Known Member

The only "American-English" word that actually bothers me is "thru" (as opposed to the British spelling: "through").
    "Thru" just looks so horrible and wrong to me; even more so when it's used in a body of writing that is otherwise intelligent : /
    It's like something that a young child that doesn't know how to spell properly would write.

It sort of annoys me when American-spellings aren't changed to the British spelling for the localisation of books/films/games (despite the fact that these mediums, when exported from Britain to America, are often altered to fit the American form).

19. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

thru   
    [throo] Show IPA
    –preposition, adverb, adjective
    an informal, simplified spelling of through.

20. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

Color and Colour is what I use.