1. This forum is in read-only mode.

am i the only one who doesnt like most rpgs?

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by jonesyruless, Jul 26, 2010.

1. jonesyruless

jonesyruless Member

the ones like most final fantasy's, dragon quest, and just the majority of rpgs on ds in general. the ones that have the battle style where you encounter a monster, then you have to choose "attack/magic/shield" etc. i hate those types! i've tried to like them but i just can't. i'd much rather play a game where its direct combat, like final fantasy crystal chronicles. where i'm actually fighting the monster first hand using the A button or something. does anyone else agree with me?

2. LuckyTrouble77

LuckyTrouble77 Well-Known Member

I don't absolutely hate traditional RPG's, but they do get old after awhile. I really enjoy Dragon Quest IX and older FF's even though they are all traditional in nearly every sense of the word. When it comes to games where I do stuff outside of entering a battle sequence (Crystal Chronicles, the newest Blue Dragon, etc.), it really depends.

If it just feels like a mindless game where my sole purpose is to hit the "A" button, I probably won't like it. When the system is executed well though, I can generally enjoy the game as long as shortcomings aren't too ever present.

3. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of RPGs, but some are good. Not FF though...

I prefer adventure games and open-world/sandbox.

4. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

I love turn based rpg's, they are so fun

5. Shadow_Sake

Shadow_Sake Well-Known Member

RPGs like Tales of Symphonia are fun

6. innergamemaster

innergamemaster Well-Known Member

the turn based style RPG is getting old, but I still like it...

7. koolenergy

koolenergy Well-Known Member

yah my opinion is same with him but mostly rpg's have good storylines so thats what im mostly after on a game

8. fclinux001

fclinux001 Well-Known Member

too bad they don't make very many of those for the ds. The best ones I've found are:

KH: 358/2 Days
    Tales of Innocence
    FFCC: EoT

9. LuckyTrouble77

I hated 358/2 Days. It didn't take very long to figure out that the missions were the same ones over and over again.

10. rchuncleskeleton

rchuncleskeleton Well-Known Member

I love traditional turn based RPG's but not all of them.

My favorites are Chrono Trigger and Earthbound, both which have great stories and a lot of content in them. I could never get into the Final Fantasy world, I honestly tried to play it but it couldn't keep my interest.

Has anyone here ever played Uncharted Waters: New Horizons? Now that was a great game! They released a version of uncharted waters on the DS in japan only and it's a horrible text and graphic RPG....there's no on screen sprites or controllable characters, everything is done within a menu based system which is not fun and uninteresting, in my opinion they should have stuck with the standard RPG style which allows you to walk around and control your character.

I haven't play any final fantasy RPG after 7 which I got into a little bit until someone stole it and my memory card along with it.

But yeah, if anyone's looking for some interesting and fun RPG's check these out:
    Chrono Trigger
    Earthbound
    Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
    and Super Mario RPG

11. LuckyTrouble77

Super Mario RPG is definitely one of my favorite RPG's of all time, and Bowser's Inside Story is incredibly fun due to the fact that the game play style is so similar.

12. iluvfupaburgers

iluvfupaburgers Well-Known Member

I love traditional RPG's aswell!! one of my favorite game genres

13. trimbletown

trimbletown Well-Known Member

No you are not the only one. I made a topic like this a while ago. TBRPGs fail at life.

14. Stanley Richards

Stanley Richards Well-Known Member

That's why it's so damn popular?

Seriously. The only reason people still use it is because it works, and still does.

Even if I'm not into TBRPGs, I still like the system itself.

15. ultra

ultra Guest

i like turned base rpg like that of phantasy star 4 or super mario rpg. i didn't and never got used to the one like in final fantasy 7 and there after. the battle system like that of tales of symphonia is excellent.

16. bunnybag

bunnybag Well-Known Member

I love TBRPGs! I can do other stuff while leveling, like reading a book or watching tv xD

If you don't like it just stay clear from then. Just like I stay away from FPS because they make me feel sick after 10 minutes.

17. Irili

Irili Active Member

I love RPG's personally. However, I loved Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles as well (still do). I don't end up hating RPG's because I play other types of games as well like strategy, action, etc. Otherwise I'd have freaked out over attack/magic/defend choices a long time ago.

18. Yutrzenika

Yutrzenika Well-Known Member

The only RPGs I've really liked have been FF VII, Crisis Core FF VII, Oblivion, and Fallout 3, oh, and Mario & Luigi. That's really about it.

19. SoulSin

SoulSin Well-Known Member

I only play Turn based RPGs on a emulator with a speed up button >_>.

I hate slow paced games.

But it depends a lot in the plot and the RNG.
    If the game has a bad plot and a battle every 3 steps than f**** it.

20. unqiueninja

unqiueninja Well-Known Member

There is a game like that and i nearly want to sue the company for creating such a retard game, walk every step, 1 monster appear >:D