1. This forum is in read-only mode.

All us oldies but Goodies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryoslide, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Ryoslide

Ryoslide Well-Known Member

So who's a oldy but a goody around here.

I'm 32, gamer pretty much my whole life since I got ahold of my dads 1970's hand held football game lol

2. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I still have one of those football games:
    [​IMG]
    looks like this one, but not as clean LOL

Anyway I'm slightly older than you, but I am not good. ;)

3. Sarah Kreuz

Sarah Kreuz Well-Known Member

yeah, I think I`m an Oldie around here too ;) I`ve started Gaming at an Age of 5 or 6 on my Dad`s C=64 (brandnew, around 500DM = 250 Euro/US Dollar :)). I`m 31, and still spending too much Time with Videogames. ;)

4. maggiemaymay

maggiemaymay Well-Known Member

I'm 46, played the original Atari Pong when it first came out, went to an arcade called Fonzie's and played Space Invaders, Pac Man, and real pinball machines.
    Have the home machine and hand held Turbo Grafx.
    Played Zork in early 80's where there is no graphics, just typing and using your imagination, and then being eaten by a grue.

5. MadmanNero

Turbo Express!? Sweet! I always wanted one of those when they first came out. I have a Turbo Grafx 16 system as well, almost had a chance to get a Duo. Zork....ahhh! I'm having retro flashbacks from hell now! I still play that game off and on ;D LOL

6. maggiemaymay

maggiemaymay Well-Known Member

We have 2 Turbo Express, sold the TV tuner, didn't need it. Good thing about this platform is that games cartridges are compatible on home and hand held machines. If you can, get Devil's Crush, best video pinball.
    I want to play Zork again, but how? I want to play the original one, where you collect treasures and place them in a cabinet. Do I have to play this on MS-DOS? Also want to play Return to Zork, the one with the CD, I think for Win 95 or 98. Will it run on WinXp?
    I don't want a dedicated PC just to play Zork.

7. Ryoslide

Nice to see the gamer history here. Some of the younger generation thinks some battles on consoles are hard try battling this type of script...

You are looking west you see a wall to your right and and door to the left...
    Which Way would you like to go....__

"L"......
    Sorry the dorr is locked!

Ha ha I remember playing games like that on BBS's

8. Sarah Kreuz

Sarah Kreuz Well-Known Member

http://www.heise.de/software/download/zork_teil_1_3/60661
    or the official Infocom Site:
    http://www.infocom-if.org/downloads/downloads.html
    ^Freeware

9. KameZero

KameZero Member

DOSBOX will let you run DOS on modern systems.

Sorry, I'm not actually an oldie, so I shouldn't be here, I'll just get off your guys' lawn now.

10. Ryoslide

Ouch!....lol
    Just thought you'd get away with it did you....I see the depressions in the lawn...><
    Yeah I use DOSBOX to play SIM Farm, hehe

11. MadmanNero

Devils Crush is very good indeed one of my favorites, and its a lot better than the Sega Genesis port of it. (now I am wanting an express again LOL oh well.)

As for Zork I had played the older versions on an Apple II and commodore 64 and a few various old as hell PCs, but I have a CD thats called the Zork Anthology that I use in windows 98 it includes all 5 text adventures: Zork: The Great Underground Empire, Zork II: The Wizard of Frobozz, Zork III: The Dungeon Master, Beyond Zork: The Coconut of Quendor, Zork Zero: The Revenge of Megaboz and a 6th bonus (Non Zork) game called Planetfall

[​IMG]
    Boxshot of Zork Anthology

Then you also have what is called Zork Legacy collection which includes the anthology and also Return to Zork and Zork Nemesis: The Forbidden Lands

[​IMG]
    Boxshot of Zork Legacy

Of course these are the actual games for anyone that wants a hard copy or are just a die hard zork fan. So in reality freeware is the way to go for the original text games.

12. xelados

xelados Well-Known Member

I'm 24; on the young end of the oldie spectrum, but I don't fit in with the newschoolers at all. Sort of a "midbie".

13. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

I'm 25, but i love oldies song XD

14. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I may be 22-but I feel like I'm 100!

...Anyone played contra-it was made before I was born-and it was one of the first few games I ever played...

And tetris :)

15. calvin_0

my 1st game was Tetris..... even so, i still suck at it (cant past lv.5 >.<)

16. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I beat it-the original gameboy one.

And got past lvl 99 on the ds one...there is a cheat...

It's easier because the blocks don't blur on the new one XD

17. calvin_0

my mom is better then in when come to Tetris and Pacman....

18. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

I got into games just because my mother would play a round of tetris before she went to bed every night :)

She plays with her dam iphone now...she's no gammer-she just loved puzzle games like "puzznic" which I still have :D

19. Ryoslide

My parents are almost 60 and my dad is love'n his 360. He went through the Call a dut series and beat them on every level...No lie it was nuts. I came over and said hey your beat Airborne already..."yeah I'm playin it on hard now" dude was on the last level. He doesn't play online but loves the single player.

One of my favoritesd games was Mutant League Football for ther Sega Genesis

20. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

There is a member here at age 70+.

He was selling his 360-he filled it with emulators.

I wonder if he's as good as your dad ryoslide XD

My farther is restricted to contra on NES-all games hurt his eyes now and only that is playable.

He's 58.