1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Alert - GBATMW Hacked

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by richard_brooksid, Dec 31, 2008.

1. richard_brooksid

richard_brooksid Well-Known Member

I am sure a lot of you are already aware but just to be on the safe side, the website gbatmw.net was cracked last night; their homepage was replaced with some truly awful pictures. Today, they have a note posted telling people about it and to change your pwd if you use the same usr/pwd at other sites too. It was quite a shock as I was going to check for some new DPGs and I was visually assaulted. It took a while to fix from what I could tell.....

Just an fyi

edit: now it says "This account has been suspended."

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

just checked the site through google cache. Hopefully the break-in was through Tiny Portal and not SMF. :p
    Sucks though, being hacked is never fun. =/

3. richard_brooksid

I am not a developer but have worked with them in the past. Trying to understand what you meant above, but a g00gl search didn't help me too much. If I had to give some sort of answer, it looks to me like they are different web scripting engine/interface/sources such as forms, forums, page builders and what-not.

Can you help explain the difference between Tiny Portal and SMF?

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

smf is the forum software, I don't know what tiny portal is but it sounds like a CMS (content management system)

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

It's back. It was indeed chuckstudios who did it (from gbatemp IRC channel, which I was there).

6. richard_brooksid

Are you saying that "chuckstudios" is the handle of the person or group claiming responsibility for the defacement? Are they also bragging about how the crack was performed (php vuln, x-site, etc)?

I saw some other posts from people saying it was back online also but I still can't get to it - unresponsive.

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

no, he's a single person. I'd like to know how he did it though.

8. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Yes one pro guy. He said something about exploits in member logins or something.

9. richard_brooksid

The site is now running a different Forums software. I think it looks great considering the time they had to tear-down the original site, put up a new site (hardware, hosting location, etc), install the backup to new configuration, test-reconfigure-test-repeat, and then open back up to everyone.

How can you guys see what this guy was talking about? Did he post this info somewhere? Why would a bad-guy want to bring this kind of attention to them self (that is the weirdest question of all).