1. This forum is in read-only mode.

advice re buying a dsi xll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tantimongoose, Mar 2, 2010.

1. tantimongoose

tantimongoose Well-Known Member

I'm an aussie wanting to buy a dsi xl.
    I am one of those grannys it is aimed at and am sick at squinting at my screen.
    I am assuming the issue with dsi game dumps will eventually be resolved and be hosted here (fingers crossed) - so my question is (and i know the answer is "its too early to tell but i am interested in opinions from people who are more informed and better able to guess than me)... i read that dsi only games will eventually be region specific. Therefore would i be better off buying a dsi xl from us or europe as these games are more likely to be dumped (than aussie versions) or would a flash card do away with the problem of region specific? as i said just interested in what people think the future may hold re this.

2. CSL00

CSL00 Well-Known Member

I don't think DSi games are going to be region locked as sony has already learned with the ps3, nintendo too hasn't made much effort in preventing DS games to be playable in every system regardless of area. It is one of the anti piracy measures on the DS (console hacking were first made with the purpose of breaking area restrictions, and along the way someone figured out how to run "backups" - or so it is claimed) and i think it is this way even on previous gameboys, of course i can be wrong but i think it would be pretty stupid. The only problem in dumping DSi games so far are the enhanced features (camera use etc) so games are playable and you'll benefit from the larger screens but you won't be able to use some DSi specific features. Bottom line nintendo has people working on preventing the games from being dumped but there are far more people working on getting around these protections so most likely there will be someone who is going to break the code but how long that's going to take is a different question.

3. tantimongoose

tantimongoose Well-Known Member

Thanks for that. Will watch and wait.
    I am so keen for these games (dsi enhanced) to be hosted on romulation as it is the only website i trust. I do not want to spend money on a dsi if my source of games dries up! My grandson is impatiently waiting in the wings for my ds to be passed on when i upgrade - oh well so much for a trade in!