1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Advice on buying a new 3DS please

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by angusangus, Oct 30, 2013.

1. angusangus

angusangus Well-Known Member

Hi all,

My lads have had old DSi's for about 3 or 4 yrs, complete with acekard and games. They are getting a bit tired now (the consoles that is!) and I have seen the 3DS advertised for GBP99.

I haven't been on Romulation for ages so not up to date any more, so my query is this:

I understand that the console hasn't been cracked for the 3D games yet, is that correct?

My main question is, I take it my boys will still be able to play all their old acekard games on the 3DS? If not, is there a recommended new card?

But, if the new 3DS comes and already has up to date firmware on it, am I stuck until that is cracked?

thanks in advance

2. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

1. Your son's Acekard would certainly will not be useable on the 3DS, especially if it's running a firmware above v.4.3.0.
    2. The 3DS hasn't been cracked if you meant for means to run 3DS rom. However there is one that can, it's 'Gateway 3DS' flash cartridge.
    You can run 3DS rom on it if the 3DS bought met these condition;
    a. 3DS firmware is below v.4.5.0
    b. 3DS rom to use are those dumped before March 2013 ones, or titles other than POKEMON X & Y and ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF
    3. Yes your son can still play NDS games on the 3DS using R4i Gold 3DS made by R4ids(.)cn or Supercard DSTWO. These 2 flash carts are
    among the few ones that are able to run on 3DS firmware above v.6.3.0 (currently that is the latest 3DS's console firmware).
    4. If the 3DS you buy turns out to be already installed with v.6.3.0. Then you've to make sure the cart you buy been pre-installed with
    firmware that is capable of running on it (or newer firmware) such like mentioned in no.3). Of cause that would mean, the Gateway cart
    won't work on it, thus not worth buying. Which then also means, you'll have to brace yourself to buy original games until such a time a
    cart that can run/keep up with any newer 3DS firmware updates are/is release to the market.

* 3DS consoles often gets firmware updates like the DSi; accessing the Download Play feature often needs an up to date firmware, and some
    games prompt/triggers the player to check for updates before playing.

3. angusangus

prectorian/joyluck, great comprehensive answers, thank you very very much.

edit: just looked on a certain site selling R4i and it states:

'R4I-Gold Pro Card card offers very good compatibility. All precious Nintendo console can use it to play DS games. But it can't play Nintendo 3DS roms currently.
    * Nintendo 3DS console: 3DS V4.0.07E/U/J, 3DS V3.0.0-6 E/U/J, V3.0.0-5, V2.2.0, V2.1.0 and all below version'

Does this mean that it wouldn't work with a newer 3DS which has firmware 5 or 6 etc as it only seems to go up to V4?

thanks again

4. Prectorian

You need to make sure it at least supports v.6.3.0. The carts I mentioned does, so choose any of those.

5. angusangus

So is the cart I found in my last post, very old and not support the most recent firmwares? Just that the site 'seemed' pukka and up to date!

6. Prectorian

I believe the answer is quite obvious isn't it?
    If I said there's already v.6.3.0 since September 13th 2013.
    Either you trust what we in this forum says, or trust that cart seller site; up to you.

7. angusangus

FFS it was an innocent question, is there any need for a response like that? I didn't know if the versions mentioned on their site related to something else! Forget I asked it!!!