1. This forum is in read-only mode.

ACTA? Oh shit, guys, BAIL!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mort432, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Mort432

Mort432 Member

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I doubt this will be enacted in Europe.

3. BurningHell

BurningHell Well-Known Member

What we do is already illegal. We are downloading games that have a copyright. Yet nothing has happened. Why should we worry now?

4. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Don't get too cocky. Always keep it in the back of your mind. You might have gotten away with it so far, but that does not mean it will keep being like that.

5. mr.nintendo

mr.nintendo Well-Known Member

your right dude we are lucky we are safe yet.

6. garychencool

garychencool Well-Known Member

Whoa, Pirate Bay is up??

7. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

No need to f***ing swear :p

Wise Words seph, but if they went for this site...they wouldn't go for the users would they because there are so many of us...just the *gulp* site creator(s).

8. SnifflingDarK

SnifflingDarK Member

if all of the people stop downloading pirated stuff the internet will get a lot smaller

the main use of the net is to download stuff mainly for free and if that goes what will the ISP's do

i think they will lose some money if that happens

but if happens it happens maybe i will give WoW a try... hahahahaha i am so funny WoW phhttpd lol WoW suck

any way i am going to get some use of PS3 if that happens because i will not be downloading skite

9. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Alot of people use email, social sites like facebook, im chats, forums and actually doing work...so not being able to download free stuff ain't gonna hurt.

There are even a few legal music download sites starting, like this one.

https://www.guvera.com/login

Limited range, but I found ONE song I actually like...shame I had the rest already.

10. SnifflingDarK

SnifflingDarK Member

if you look at how much time spend on downloading to iming and that it is like three hours iming to seventeen downloading

11. Silvertie

Silvertie Well-Known Member

It's certainly in ISP's best interests to turn a blind eye to downloading; without the downloaders, who would buy their 70GB/Infinte download usage packs?

There is not a single facebook-thumper who would use that much. (At least, there shouldn't be. If you do, I suggest that you get a freaking life.)

All the same, praying like heck ACTA never gets established where I live. If it does, I'm going to brush up on an european language or two.

12. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

^ Go to England XP In Europe, AND they speak English... wow, go figure.

13. kammithecamel

kammithecamel Well-Known Member

"The current negotiating parties of ACTA are a mix of developed and emerging economies: Australia, Canada, the European Union, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, Switzerland and the United States. Although ACTA is now being negotiated amongst like-minded countries, it is hoped that major countries facing the same counterfeiting and piracy problems will eventually accede to it."

I doubt that even Europe is safe.

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/creating-opportunities/trade-topics/intellectual-property/anti-counterfeiting/

14. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

don't they have bigger fish to fry? Like unethical use of weapons?

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

much bigger fish. Like corruption in parliament (especially the EU).

Besides I dont think this is a huge worry, theres not much chance of all those countries agreeing on anything.

16. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

^ exactly. even if it's enacted, there are surely still laws that exist in each region that allow for 'back-up purposes'.

>.>
    <.<
    >.>

17. mikeac

mikeac Well-Known Member

ACTA has been going on DEVELOPMENT for almost three years, and they haven't ACTA'd on it yet.
    [me=mikeac] slaps the slow-assed government[/me]

Ninty's legal crap of backup stuff: http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp
    [quote author=Nintendo]There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet. [/quote]

So, to clarify, it is legal to create your own backup of software and roms and such, as long as you own it. It is illegal to USE (ie. emulate) the copies, or download a copy off the internet, you need to create it yourself. Ergo, you can create a backup of your stuff, but you can't use that backup, or share that backup.

18. Loonylion

no, its perfectly legal to use a rom you created yourself.

19. m64m

m64m Well-Known Member

exactly. The purpose of the back-up is to use that one primarily, and save the original game cart/disc in it's mint condition for value purposes.

20. Loonylion

technically no. But I do know people that do that. Legally the only restriction on using backups (aside from personal use only) is you cannot use them at the same time as the original.