1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Acekard2i Setup for Normal People

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by IkedaTeramusa, Aug 14, 2009.

1. IkedaTeramusa

IkedaTeramusa New Member

• Hey all,

If you don't know me my name is Ike. I will be your TOURGUIDE today into the lovely world of Acekard 2i setup. Now, there are issues with the setup. People have a ton of headaches. If this is you, go ahead and scroll ALL the way to the bottom. There you will find a nice zip file in which I have placed a WORKING copy of AKAIO and Moonshell (with a theme for each). As of 1.3u these files work. If you have 1.4 and AK2i updates, then just update the firmware following the directions below for the AK2i stuff.

What you NEED to know:

AKAIO (Acekard All-in-One): Firmware for your card. Think of it like Windows or DOS.
      Moonshell: A PROGRAM that plays videos, mp3's and thus extends the usefulness of your DSi

Firstly, the items you need:
      DSi
      Acekard2i
      Mini-SD card
      A medium for putting your miniSD card onto your computer
      [​IMG]

I know, I know... you don't have to even read what I'm saying for the most part. Just follow the pictures.

Seriously though, get your miniSD and hook it into your computer.
      [​IMG]

After a few minutes you should have the option to open the folder. Please do so.
      [​IMG]

Just because your file LOOKS empty.. it may not really be. Format the card using the preferred Panasonic SD.Scroll down to the bottom to download
      [​IMG]

Install the EXE file to your computer and when it is done open it.

MAKE SURE IT IS THE CORRECT DRIVE AND CLICK FORMAT
      [​IMG]

When it's done there are a couple of oks to click. Now your card is properly formatted. Now you have an empty root.. you need files. Head over to Acekard and download the newest firmware.
      [​IMG]

While you're at this site you may wanna pick up a theme or create your own.
      [​IMG]

I don't create things so don't ask me how. I just downloaded one that looked nice and moved on (if you notice... Pikachu for this just cause it was on top).

Next, you need a copy of Moonshell. I find the best place to find the newest copies of Moonshell is here.
      [​IMG]

If you want to theme Moonshell you can:
      [​IMG]

Now, you have these files all zipped up nicely on your computer. If you don't see the zip archives you may need to go and download WinRAR. If you look there are free to try and trials which still allow you to unzip things. Knock yourself out.
      [​IMG]

Now move the AKAIO files and the Moonshell files INTO the root drive.
      [​IMG]

Double-click the language setup for Moonshell (or else it'll show you gobbly-gook.. <--technical term for crap you can't understand).
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Now you may delete the executable.. or keep it on there. Your choice.

Navigate to _ak\ui and drop your theme folder there.
      [​IMG]

Now navigate to your Moonshell folder and drop your Moonshell theme. I took a screenshot of where to drop it but you may also see on my zip back there is an extendedskins folder. Put it in either. I recommend .skn files because you highlight and press a in a later step.
      [​IMG]

Now.. navigate back to root. For simplicity sake, create a game or rom folder. A ROM is a file that is often used to play a game. It can also be seen as an ISO or Zip file. Everything for the game (with the exception of saves) are in the ROM. Owning ROMs of current titles is likely illegal, thus check your local laws and regulations. Having said that... with this setup you can play all ROMS region free (which is NOT true for your DSi). If you have a DS, you too can play region free even without this.
      [​IMG]

Now unhook your microSD card from your computer and slide it into you AK2i. Make sure you press in and hear the audible spring clicking into place.
      [​IMG]

Wow, aren't I nice.. a pic for even THAT part.

Now insert your AK2i card into your DS/DSi and boot it.
      [​IMG]

Select the card by pressing A.
      [​IMG]

Welcome to AKAIO. From here, set your theme by pressing Start. You will see a menu with options pop up.
      [​IMG]

If you change your theme it'll prompt you like 2-3 times to press A. Just do it. Your new theme will pop up. Yay!
      [​IMG]

Now, it's time to open Moonshell and set that up. Highlight and press A.
      [​IMG]

Now I do NOT have a picture of this. Make sure on first run to disable the check at the top of the screen and on the bottom part of the screen CHECK the do not run setup option. Moonshell checks tend to cause the White Screen of Death (meaning reboot.. but often repeated tries give similar results). NEVER FEAR. If you see this, there are 3 options.
      1. Put microSD back on your computer and defrag the chip
      2. Reinstall Moonshell files (this time deleting NOTHING. Including the Language exe file)
      3. Download an earlier version of Moonshell (see why I include a zip pack of everything later on?)

Finally, navigate to the file you placed your theme in, select the theme and hit the A button to enable it.
      [​IMG]

And that's it. You are ready to add ROMs, Music, Movies, whatever you want. Just drag and drop them into neat little folders you can explore with either AKAIO or Moonshell and have fun!

Oh.. I bet the rest of you are looking down here so eagerly looking for that zip file eh?

Fine... if you must. Be forewarned. These files were not created by me, they are simply the files that after many trials and errors I could get into a coherent functioning (non-erroring) machine. They should be the latest and greatest as of writing but you'll probably be reading this sometime in the distant future. And thus my rambling ends.

Latest AKAIO Firmware can be found here.

Goodluck everyone.

Peace out.