1. This forum is in read-only mode.

about LPG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XD9999, Feb 6, 2009.

1. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

Which is better to use? Silicon Hose or synthetic hose?

This dude ask to check the LPG settings in my house and he did a few precaution and facts about the hazards in using a LPG tank. One one the few was when there is a hole in your hose. - apparently the must do is cover it with your thumb. Silicon have a tendency to go brittle and loose while silicon with only toothpase to server as clump could do a lot better.

Id google it but most results in company names, so id like to hear it from other peoples experience.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

over here it's always some kind of thick rubber, don't know if its silicon or not. When there's a hole in the hose (or anywhere in the system) you turn the gas off at the tank. (there should be a regulator on it) We had a major fire at a neighbours house because they used bottled gas for their heating. Their bottle ran out during a power cut, so the father of the house had to change the bottle by torchlight. Unfortunately he didn't manage to get the regulator on securely, and a jet of gas escaped from the bottle (between the bottle and the regulator), and shot across the kitchen, straight through a candle flame.

3. apophos755

apophos755 Well-Known Member

I would honestly tell you to go with rubber over both. I use LPG everyday in my line of work, and let me tell you, I don't think putting your thumb over the hole would be a good idea. Considering the boiling point of LPG is around -42 deg C. That's f'n cold. I have to use gloves when I use it, and if it gets on my gloves it freezes the fingers of my gloves. It's so cold that it burns. Contacting you local LPG supplier about what hose would be best to use for your application would be to your benefit.

Her's a link with some more info: http://www.e-lpg.com/lp_gas.asp

Good luck.

4. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

yeah about the thumb trick. It went something like this.

He used a hose with a small hole in it for demonstration, then with the burner on he lighted it. Flames gushed out, but there was no flame near the hole. Its like theres 0.10 centimeter of air gap between the flame and the hole. So theory is, when you cover the hole the flame is extinguished.