1. This forum is in read-only mode.

about games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rell, Nov 14, 2009.

1. rell

rell Well-Known Member

ok, so im new to this whole piracy thing, and i just recently figured out that they can true to sue you long story.
    a year back, someone broke onto my garrage and took my all of my gc,wii, and pc games. although i dont have the disk copy of the games anymore, i do have the recipts, is it considered piracy if i download these game from the internet??

2. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Yes it would still be considered piracy, they most likely won't sue you unless it's related to movies or music.

3. rell

rell Well-Known Member

but how?? when you purchuse a game your obtaining the right to use the software not the rights to reproduce and sell the game. i read that on the internet, i was making multi disks of everygame that were taken from me, and i still have the origanal cases of some of the games that were taken... i dont want to be a pirate, but i do want to play some of my favorite games agin...

4. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

You're buying the right to play your copy of the game, not to reproduce it. Although there is a part where you can make a backup copy but thats kind of a gray area

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

you are legally permitted to make a backup copy for your own use. You are not permitted to download a copy.

6. rell

rell Well-Known Member

so me being a member of this site basically makes me a pirate b assoiation huh??

7. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

Its all grey areas if you ask me, but you have a choice and no body forces anyone to do anything, but the way I see things if you own a said game you should be able to back it up and I don't see any reason why you couldn't download a game you own as long as your using it for your own personal use I like to keep copies of some of my disc based games when the kids what to play them as I don't have to worry too much if the copy gets scratched or broken. I also believe in the try before you buy as its saved me a lot of money from buying crappy games, yes its illegal but so are a lot of other things that still get done on a daily basis.

Anyway before i get on a wild tangent its not a regular thing people get busted left and right for doing illegal downloading but it happens but almost in a way I would like to call a reverse lottery the chances of "getting by with it" are higher than "I got busted" and i think its a lot of hype to attempt to scare people and I am by no means innocent nor am I promoting "piracy".

I am in a strange mood today so if this didn't make any sense just ignore me, or loony can delete it.

8. rell

rell Well-Known Member

it makes perfectly good sense, i read an artical that said it was illegal to download things you dont own, and that they dont look for small fries, the look for the people that redistrubute the games making profit, not the people who are just flat out cheap and are dowloading games just because.

9. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

In a nutshell, downloading copyrighted games is illegal. Period.

10. rell

rell Well-Known Member

suppose you own that copy righted game??

11. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

in that case, then you should read the thread.

12. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Did you read anything posted in the topic?
    Even if you own a copy of the game legally, it is still against the law to download the game.

In the US, it is illegal to distribute copyrighted material digitally or otherwise without permission from the copyright holder. Regardless of whether or not you own a physical copy or if you are not making a profit. It's still illegal.

Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
    http://www.copyright.gov/legislation/dmca.pdf

13. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

even if you do make a backup, download it, or whatever.......it's still illegal (in the US at least)

and thus is piracy!! ;)

14. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Making a backup is an exception allowed in the DMCA. But downloading a backup is not allowed.

Of course if in the process of making the backup, you have to bypass copy protection on the media, then it is illegal :)

15. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

yep.....that's what i meant!! :)

16. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

No, being registered here is not illegal, you could just want to talk with people, a lot of our members don't download at all but just stick to the forum.

Anyway, I'd suggest you do a search on "legal" in general section as the legality of downloading ROMs has been discussed thoroughly several times already.

17. rell

rell Well-Known Member

i guess ill just drop the subject then... i really ont see why i cant download a game that i own but yea
    thread closed

18. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Blame the government and the lobbies of the film and music industry, that's just how the law works, they'll try to limit you as much as possible.

19. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

i hate how they do that......makes me mad...

20. rell

rell Well-Known Member

tell me about it, i guess ill just start to act like dale gribble from king of the hill now...( anti govern.)
    then agin, i dont want to get snatched from my car an get beat down by 4 guys in black and white suits...
    so i think ill just by the games agin...