1. This forum is in read-only mode.

A World without Videogames *GASP!!*

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Did you know that the videogame industry almost died in the 80's? And, if it were not for Nintendo & Sega, there really wouldn't be any videogame sub-culture,EVER?

Back in the 80's people slowly began to lose interest in videogames, primarily 'cause games released then were mostly mind-numbing & ultimately brain rotting repetitive pieces of crap? Games like Pacman, Galaga & those early arcade games that seem to reach infinity slowly made gamers at the time lose interest. The idea of who ever got THE highest score became meaningless, so slowly the videogames industry faced a great recession.

But then came Nintendo with their NES or Famicom console, which revolutionized & ultimately led to the booming success of today's Videogames industry. If you think I'm making this up try reading about the history of the gaming industry on online encyclodeias like Wikipedia.

Anyway, imagine this scenario. What if the games industry did go under & the world never ever heard of Mario, Samus, Lara Croft or Pokemon?

What if instead of videogames another form of toy attained the success of the gaming industry & a sub-culture was bourne from this "toy"?

If you're not following this recall Anime like Yu-gi-Oh!, where people are crazy over a cardgame that has a bizzare rule where players "feel" the pain their cards feel when they get hit by an opponent, or as in Bey Blade or Tamiya Lets n' Go! where players "talk" to their toys like idiots.

Now if such a scenario did occur what toy do you feel has the "potential" to be a global phenomenal hit?

As for me, an 80's boy there were actually ALOT of candidates like G.I. Joes & Transformer robots but my bet would have been LEGO toys, since LEGO almost did become a global phenomenon back in the 80's, IF the games industry didn't recover. Too bad though that nowadays, just to be noticed LEGO must tap into the popularity of a movie for their toys to sell, ergo LEGO Star Wars & my personal Favorite, LEGO Harry Potter Play sets. And I really Freakin' hate those "trying hard copy cats" Megabloks which are not only a total rip but retarded as well!!

2. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Actually LEGO's most popular sales item is still their Duplo series. Since they're a Danish company they're quite often mentioned in the business section of news papers and I remember a while back that their Bionicle, Creator, Technic etc series were selling badly and the only thing given them a positive revenue year was their Duplo series.

As for if the computer gaming industry had failed in the 80s, it would have restarted. I honestly doubt it would stay down, there might have been a depression for a while but the craze about it that had already been would have been plenty incentive for people to try to improve on games and fix what went wrong; which, coincidentally (or not :p), is probably exactly what Nintendo did.

With that said, if I were to imagine that the computer gaming industry had truly died and lied dormant forever then I can't even begin to imagine what life would look like, perhaps there would just be even more focus on socializing with friends and like-minded people.

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Oh I forgot Seph, you ARE from Denmark, man as a kid I really dreamt of going to Denmark, the home of LEGO (is it, 'cause most of the LEGO products I had come with remarks like LEGO group Denmark, hope I didn't offend you with that). Back then I felt Denmark was cooler than Disney World, 'cause I was & still am a big LEGO fanatic. My most favorite LEGO system is the "Town" series 'cause its kinda like Simcity. :)

4. kanwarrulz_123

kanwarrulz_123 Well-Known Member

Oh ! that would be horrible.. :eek:

5. calvin_0

calvin_0 Well-Known Member

world without Video Game?....i could live with that....since i dont know what is Video Game up until High School and my parent dont buy Video Game for me....i brought my 1st Video Game console (a PSX) with part-time job.

6. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Good for you dude, you reap the rewards of honest hard work :)