1. This forum is in read-only mode.

a thread for foreign languages

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bhatooth, May 5, 2008.

1. bhatooth

bhatooth Well-Known Member

how about some thread for other languages?

2. clyffe28

clyffe28 Well-Known Member

then how would we understand each other........ ???

3. DonCreek

DonCreek Well-Known Member

could be great.... ;)

4. bhatooth

ah your pinoy right then well make a pinoy thread for tagalog words and a thread for a japanese if theres japanese around here

5. clyffe28

oh that would be good

6. bhatooth

clyffe it will really be good

clyffe its night in philippines right now right cause here in quezon city its night are in your house?

7. clyffe28

I'm at my house

Its also good to post translations so that we would be able to learn more languages

8. bhatooth

yeah thats would be great to romulation educational!

9. clyffe28

enjoying and learning at the same time

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

problem is we can't moderate foreign language threads.

11. clyffe28

then assign a moderator who is a native to that language if that is possible

12. bhatooth

yeah why not kamage hes a active member and knows tagalog

13. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

Umm...

Even though I'm a Filipino & am very happy to know that I have several countrymen lurking about the forum, I strongly disagree with this idea.

Why you ask?

This idea of creating sections for other languages will only cause people to associate with people of their own kind, forming pocket groupees or cliques, which I believe is against RomUlation (seph's) goals & ideals of creating a bustling online community who help each other out,

I once had the previlage of being graced by seph's time & words when I posted a thread once where I graciously thanked RomUlation for accepting me as a member. OK so this may start sounding melo-dramatic & corny but believe me, being graced by seph is truly an un-earthly experience, yeah he's also a human being & all, but when he responds to a topic or question you post, it's really as if God is talking to you, after all, he's the boss

So anyway, when I posted that topic, I told him that RomUlation was very different in that people here are very nice & you don't feel like an outsider & stuff, then he said that one of his goals was to make the RomUlation community become a self sustaining online entity whose members support each other. This topic was posted around the time, the site was forced to stop hosting downloads, another thing seph said was that, eventually hosting ROMs on RomUlation or every other site would become permanently banned, so he was hoping that by the time that happens the site along with the community would be strong enough that the members themselves will help each other out with everyone's ROM/ISO & other specific needs.

So, creating Forum sections that only cater for a specific group may make this ideal of seph's fail, as people will just stick to their own instead of inter-acting with the bigger community

But I see where bhatooth is going with his idea, it's actually a good idea, but the execution isn't. So how about this idea:

Instead of a foreign language section on the forum, why not expand the forum instead?

Why not create various RomUlation forum chapters based on a group's country?

Why not create a Pinoy RomUlation Forum chapter, or a Spanish RomUlation forum chapter, or Malaysian or German etcetera?

Now to avoid the fear of the chapters becoming rival ROM sites, we should just keep each chapter as a Forum site, unless seph wants the chapters to start hosting games

So in effect, if you join RomUlation, you actually register at the mother chapter (here) & you download stuff from here as well, but when you want to go to the forum, you can choose to either got to the mother forum or to your country's chapter forum :D

Then when you go to your country's chapter forum you wouldn't need to constantly check your english, you could just use your native language. But as a measure to ensure that people won't just stick to their country's chapter, the Admins/moderators of each chapter will encourage their members to go to the mother chapter & interract with the bigger community.

14. Loonylion

we don't have sufficient active members or the resources to do that.

15. Cahos Rahne Veloza

But hopefully in the future though :)

In about 5, 10, 15 years maybe ???

16. Loonylion

you mentioned yourself the major flaw with bhatooth's suggestion: that elitist groups may form within the forum; what is there to stop that happening with your idea?

17. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That's true though :(

I guess we should just leave things as they are now

18. bhatooth

but any one can go in that thread

as you want make a no foreign languages allowed free thread

19. Loonylion

if you mean a board where guests can post, we had one but we were forced to close it because it was being abused.

20. bhatooth

make it exclusive only to members