1. This forum is in read-only mode.

A spot of curiosity (R4 SDHC)

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by snebbers, Mar 27, 2010.

1. snebbers

snebbers Well-Known Member

Okay.. So there's quite a few R4 cards out there, some are clones... One is real.. I have no idea which one I have..

What I do know is that it is an R4 SDHC.. And it looks like this.

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me what the latest kernal update is for this model?

I think it's 1.34? But I cannot be sure..

2. BSNAllstar

BSNAllstar Well-Known Member

You are correct, it's v1.34. It's a clone but it's not a bad clone. (Although when compared to other flash carts such as an AK or cyclo it is inferior in compatibility.)

I have one too.

3. Smitejab

Smitejab New Member

I have this one and I tried updating it by downloading the v 1.34 kernel and dragged the files onto the thing but nothing changes. It stays 1.24 and the menu etc doesn't work

4. BSNAllstar

Did you make sure to remove the v1.24 files and everything related to it....and THEN drag n drop the v1.34 files?

5. snebbers

I also have V.24. And it's worked fine for me since forever.

I'm just wondering if it is worth it..

6. BSNAllstar

I'm currently downloading v1.34 but right now I'm running v1.31

It's supposed to promote game speed and just make the R4 perform at its best so I would say yes keep it updated.

7. snebbers

Right I'll give it a shot then.. Because I was looking a the promotion of loading speed too..
    Post Merge: [time]1269737213[/time]
    I can't get it to work with my card..

I format my card, then stick everything within English V1.34 onto the root... Then it gets stuck on loading everytime I start up.

8. BSNAllstar

I'm formatting mine right now to place v1.34. I'll let you know what happens in several minutes.

9. snebbers

Okay.. Well I formatted to FAT32, from FAT, and it gets past the loading screen but turns black.

10. BSNAllstar

Sorry I was busy but mine works perfectly fine. In fact, even my genesis emulator works fine on it.

Make sure to put everything in the root folder...other than that idk what else could help you.

11. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Could be that his card isn't the same one, and so that firmware won't work on it.

You could try reverting back to your old firmware that works, and seeing if there is a website listed on your box or on the paper that came with it.

12. RedSkizzers

RedSkizzers New Member

I am having the EXACT same problem you are. I download the latest version and drag + drop it onto my card, I've tried removing all files before hand, and I've tried copying over the files, and it still gets stuck on loading. I also had this problem when I first got my card a year and some months ago, but I forget how it finally got resolved.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that it's HC card? I've only done it once before so I'm pretty new to all of this.
    Also, you're saying that the latest firmware is 1.34? I thought the latest for R4DS was 1.18? ( http://www.r4ds.me/download/r4ds.html#1 )

13. BSNAllstar

^If you read the first post carefully it'll say this card is a R4SDHC (clone).

The website for it being www.r4sdhc.com

what I did was: download v1.34, backup my game saves on the computer, and then reformatted. (This'll erase everything and it'll even ask you if you want to proceed.) Once that's done, I transferred the v1.34 files onto the root, and then transferred the folder with all my games back in to the microSD.

14. snebbers

That's exactly what I did. Backed everything up, I always do just in case I get problems like this. Thing is I can't remember the exact R4 website they're so similar.. But I think what Tirith is saying, is what the problem is. Because it'd have no reason to work otherwise. I think I will do some research and see if I can find the website that the Card came from.. (I have no idea where the box has gone even though I kept it for just a problem)

There is no harm if I just try every firmware from the different websites right? Because I 'think' I got mine from here

15. nemesis11

nemesis11 Well-Known Member

try th 1.34 from the site u just shown

16. snebbers

I think I will. I'll have to do it when I get home though. I've just got into college and they don't have WinRar, not to mention that I don't have my SD Card and Reader on me. I'll give everyone a heads up of what happens when, and if, I go straight to my house after college has finished.

17. bLATANT

bLATANT Well-Known Member

Hey Snebbers,

Just on a side note, this probably wont help you in the slightest! LOL, but r4-sdhc is listed as compatible with the software from www.r4i-sdhc.com too... it's v1.18b and it the software I last used (on my r4i-sdhc upgrade), it works for games like Sega & Sonic AllStar Racing so was a winner for me :)

18. johrie

johrie Active Member

Are you sure that the R4i Firmware works on R4 SDHC because i have the same card. and i have the same problem.

19. bLATANT

bLATANT Well-Known Member

No, I am FAR from sure, I only put it out there as a curiosity... Basically the site lists 2 downloads, for certain cards, as read I see:

[Left Column]
    R4i-SDHC v1.4 kernal download
    R4-SDHC kernal download
    R4i-SDHC with 1.4 mark and R4-SDHC fire card pls downlaod bellow kernel

[Right Column]
    R4i-SDHC kernel download
    R4i-SDHC without V1.4 mark pls download bellow kernal

so check out the images and judge for yourself, only takes 15mins to try...

20. BSNAllstar

Yeah, try downloading from different sites then, snebbers.

Mine works just fine....I don't know what's the problem with your cards.