1. This forum is in read-only mode.

A special birthday

Discussion in 'General News' started by Loonylion, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Most non-Brits will probably not know this (except possibly those in commonwealth countries), heck, I wouldn't mind betting that a large number of Brits don't know this, but today (21st April), is the 83rd birthday (real, i.e chronological birthday, not official birthday, which falls in July) of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of Great Britain and head of the commonwealth.

[​IMG]

Born in 1926, her Chinese Zodiac is the tiger (same as me), and she became Queen while in Kenya in 1953. She is one of Britain's longest reigning monarchs, after Queen Victoria and King George III, currently matching the 57 years that King James VI ruled Scotland.

Long Live the Queen ;D

and another birthday today, though she's only 16:
    [​IMG]

2. warriorblade

warriorblade Well-Known Member

Happy Birthday your majesty :D

3. equitypetey

equitypetey Well-Known Member

I'm a Brit and i didn't know but then i don't follow or care what our worthless monarchy do. :p

4. damanali

damanali Well-Known Member

Long live the Queen, may she live longer and happier than any monarch of Britain ever had!

By the way loony, can the queen/monarch still dissolve parliament like those in history? And can she declare her successor, like skip Charles and go to William or somebody she want?

5. Loonylion

I'm not quite sure whether or not she still has that power, I believe it was stripped from the monarchy after the civil war. As for naming her successor, I would imagine she can, though whether that is by decree or by some other means I don't know. I had heard that if she hangs on long enough the right of succession will at some point move from charles to william automatically, and I also heard that it was her intention to abdicate as soon as this happened. Although I've also heard that she believes it is her responsibility for life and for that reason she will never abdicate.

6. damanali

If william is to succeed the queen, his first order will be to execute Prince Charles' wife. hehehe

I do hope the queen will live pass his son, i love history and i would like to live and see that she will be the longest reigning monarch in history. even longer than victoria.

7. Loonylion

A lot of Brits think Charles is too stuck up and irresponsible to be a good king, so they would rather William inherited the throne. The reason given when I heard of the Queen waiting for the succession to pass to William was because she also did not believe Charles is sufficiently responsible to be king.

8. damanali

If for any impossible reason that charles will have a son with that current wife of his, will william still be second in line to the throne?

Also, i would like to ask, what is the purpose of the queen/monarch of Britain if she has no real power, and that the parliament controls all the affairs? i've even read sometime ago that the queen was even asking parliament for extra funding just for her to keep her palace and avoid it to become a public museum? is that true? the queen has no money/ parliament gives her allowances?

9. Loonylion

she gets an allowance, yes, however aside from being patron of countless charities, she is mainly a figurehead.

If charles has a son with horse's ass camilla, their new son would be in line after harry.

10. marcy

marcy Guest

Happy Birthday Queen Elizabeth II. (A former teacher's birthday is today, too)

11. damanali

so technically, what is her duties? just wave and attend social gatherings and parades? or those she has any special powers like interfere with parliaments decisions, or commander of the army, head of the church of england? sorry for teaching me a history lesson cause all i know about her is that she is a figurehead without any political/military powers, but only social like those charities that you said.

12. Lechongbaboy

Lechongbaboy Well-Known Member

Happy birthday nala!

13. Loonylion

she's head of the church of england, yes, and technically the army can't be deployed without her say so. (although iraq still happened even though she refused to sanction it.) Should there come a situation where the government is out of control (as is very close to happening) and are severely repressing the citizens of this country; the armed forces can choose to answer to the queen and not the government.

14. damanali

Thanks! we dont have that kind of government here so i was confused, and our congress is even planning a parliamentary type.

Well, Back to topic, i hope she had a special day and more birthdays to come!

15. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Quoted for truth, sadly I doubt the monarchy will ever make a real stand against government policy, Prince Charles may be a bit of a joke at times but has at least had the balls to openly question government on many policies, particularly environment.

I care very little for the Queen and the, cough,* German House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha*, House of Windsor. But heh everyone deserves a good birthday party, hopefully the tax payer did not pick up the tab this time.

16. Loonylion

the tax payer funded party is on her official birthday, and its well worth it because hundreds of kids get a day they'll never forget.

17. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

I almost agree with you on this one, as few people realise that the official birthday celebrations occour, and are funded, throughout the commonwealth and i'm all for having a bit of fun; but in the UK, as far as I know, no funding leaves London and the actual event has never been held outside of London. I am not sure how funds can be justified within the UK.

Back on topic : Should this be news? and do you think the Queen would prefer a more private affair?

18. Loonylion

the party is held at the palace and kids from all over the country get invited. In my view that makes it worth the tax money that goes into it.

19. 1prinnydood

1prinnydood Guest

Oops, sorry decided to delete my post. Self censorship FTW.

20. c740

c740 Well-Known Member

she should invite susan boyle to sing for her birthday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.