1. This forum is in read-only mode.

a riddle...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seventhsage, Jun 20, 2009.

1. seventhsage

seventhsage Well-Known Member

I'm quite sure I've found the answer now, since the second clue came out... thanks for all the help guys... But i'm gonna remove this to keep people from finding this through google. If a mod would kindly close or delete this topic, that would be nice... thanks again

-jason

2. cjdogger

cjdogger Guest

Well for people with little common knowledge, beta means b in ancient Greek so the secondary symbol of the alphabet so it may be saying that the book is second to something

3. nex26

nex26 Well-Known Member

I think it's the bible, alpha and beta may refer to the old and new testiments, or the beta could be the translation from the latin version (alpha), or if the first book is always alpha, it means it's the beginning, Genesis is the beginning of everything (apparently) and it also happens to be the first book in the bible.

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I don't think its Arthurian legends, and bear in mind that 'mer' is the french word for 'sea'. Other than that, its definitely the second book in a series.

My guess would be 'The Light Fantastic' by Terry Pratchett. It's the second book in the discworld series, and the second in the Rincewind trilogy. Rincewind is a cowardly inept wizard who's only talent is for languages, and no-one can ever remember his name properly. He saves the world as well (go figure) although without intending to.

5. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

I think it's the bible too... god is referred to as the alpha (and also omega...), beta is the second letter i the greek alphabet... so second book, second testament, second coming... and mer was one of the three gifts given to baby jesus...seems about right to me

6. seventhsage

seventhsage Well-Known Member

edited by user...

see first post

7. northofpolaris

northofpolaris Well-Known Member

The Illiad!