1. This forum is in read-only mode.

a question about the phrase; "per se"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by XD9999, Aug 9, 2008.

1. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

How do you use "per se" in a sentence or conversation. I'm finding it very difficult to understand. I checked it in the dictionary and it is defined as: itself, intrinsically - with respect to its inherent nature.

I watched a video of American Dad and Stan[the father] said to Steve[the son], "I don't need you, per se."
    Can someone explain this to me?

2. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Well, this isn't really Non-Emulation Help perse (hehe). That's how I normally use it.

3. XD9999

XD9999 Well-Known Member

so by saying per se, you create a paradox by denying a truth that is part of a whole, that still retains its integrity to some extent?

4. anandjones

Basically, just not saying that it is 100% truthful, but just creating a gap filler.

5. kamage

kamage Well-Known Member

I use Per se as something like For example......

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

This might help: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define%3A+per+se&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

7. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

In my mind...
    per se = exactly

8. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

??? Confused.

9. err

err Well-Known Member

Just say it at the end of a statement that was really dull, "per se" makes it sound a whole lot better.

I herd you liek mudkipz, per se.

10. Reider

Reider Modereider

I wouldn't call this topic "lame" per se, but I definitely wouldn't call it interesting.

^Its used like that as far as I know.

11. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Reider got it right. Also I'd like to extend his statement by saying that while this topic isn't very interesting per se, jokes like that one makes it more interesting.

The definition you stated is right, "in/by itself". "the topic by itself isn't very interesting"

12. anandjones

^2 Yay, I was on the right track :)

13. err

err Well-Known Member

Oh, after pondering about it for a few hours I finally got it! Per se means "by itself". Yea yea, I know....