1. This forum is in read-only mode.

A "private" forum

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mds64, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Now, I have no real reason to post this, but feel free o shoot me down...

Here it goes...

Make the fourm "invisable" to non-registered users.

Now, it's rare here-but when I had my own little clan forum, i had spammers in droves...

So I forced the site under 2 changes.

1.You must register to post-or even see boards for that matter (some would be visable-like rules)

2.To join your submissions would be checked out by the admin.

Now, prehaps you (Seph) can share this power to other trusted mods, so they can asses potential members....

From what I noticed, some supposedly banned members (or just paranoya) keep jumping back and forth...

This way-you can stop them in advance-check thier ip adress etc...

It would make the site less friendly yes, but it may make potential users more careful about what they do...

Plus...the ir chat can become more isolated-meaning if say for some strange reason-a banned user has a friend who also wants to bug us-can be steered away-and without the irchat they won't have any info on the site...

Don't mind me-just some consipacy theroies I conjured up-my guess is that this is not in romU's best interest, but it may help protect somewhat...

I'm aware that the site will need to be shut down-it took ages for the changes to be commited when I made those changes-and even then-I had to change back and forth just to make sure all but the "public" boards were shown...

Thank you kindly.

2. forte_amirul

forte_amirul Well-Known Member

Giroserik is one of them.:p.Obviously,a contradiction in his intro.

3. Blade5406

Blade5406 Well-Known Member

I haven't read the full post, but that would make the community of Romulation go down *as this is one of the most active forums I've put myself into*. There are sections that are also "hidden"(not for us regular members), and some require you to login to view it.

4. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Re: A \\\"private\\\" forum

I was hoping not to mention names...for all we know he may be just a guy playing on the name...

He may have read some post and thought "heh why not make fun of him"?

Guilty until proven I say-but let's not discuss this here-that is for the mods to decided.
    Post Merge: [time]1248750967[/time]
    I just had a look-most of it can still be viewed-too much I reckon...

Prehaps leave the tutorial open and some stickies on forum rules...

And technical help-those are what we need.
    Post Merge: [time]1248783838[/time]
    One other suggestion-if we one day take this up...during next site update...

Prehaps make it so guest-once they make a demo name-can post in but 1 section-technical help-as most users who are rarely here use that...

It may force the newer users to post in correct topics-how many "help me out" post end up in fun and games sections?

And having mods move them...

Just a thought-it may hinder our user friendly approch-but it may heard the new users to stick to one place-I seen a few post the same topic many times just to get help.

5. tehuber1337

tehuber1337 Well-Known Member

Firstly, RomUlation is far too large for the admins to check every registration.

Secondly, girogex has a dynamic IP address (thanks to AOL), so running an IP check wouldn't really help.

Thirdly, having the forums viewable by unregistered users acts as a good showcase for the community, and can inspire such guests to register and start participating.

6. Blade5406

I was trying to point this out. Thanks :)

7. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

Seph deems that this is not going to happen, we intentionally have it visible to guests, I think only the trading section is hidden to guests.

8. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

Fair enough-the wise seph has spoken.

9. Blade5406

In third person.

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I'll just lock this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.