1. This forum is in read-only mode.

a pretty stupid noobie question..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 0taku, Dec 10, 2009.

1. 0taku

0taku Active Member

So, i know this is a freaking stupid question, but i need to know..
    In translating Japanese games to English. Can't they just use japanese - english translators? If not may i know the reason?

2. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Online translators can mess words up and mistranslate things.

3. 0taku

0taku Active Member

aaah, but it's possible right?

4. sylar1000

sylar1000 Well-Known Member

Like to translate roms for patching? or translating them for playing?

5. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

Online translators are pretty much just a word for word translation, they don't take into account grammar differences between the languages (like sentence structure) and actual meanings behind what is said.

Test it out yourself, take a paragraph in English and then translate it into a few different languages and then back into English. You will likely be able to decipher what it is saying but likely only because you know the original.

Original
    Passed through BabelFish half a dozen times.

6. slapmeorelse

slapmeorelse Well-Known Member

That would be... hard. Especially for those who don't know Japanese attempting to copy Japanese text verbatim. And.. the evil Kanji... >_>

7. 0taku

0taku Active Member

aah, ok then thanks for the explanations

8. namklaw7

namklaw7 Well-Known Member

Translating is only half the problem... you need to know where the games store their text scripts, get the particular language you're translating to fit in the text boxes, test play the game itself to see if it's actually working. Then, of course there could always be other problems. Not an easy by any means.

9. Oteupaiecona

Oteupaiecona Well-Known Member

Lol at TirithRR's example.
    I guess that is a very good reason not to use translators.
    Also, years ago i tried translating roms into Portuguese, and it is a hard thing to do.
    You have to make sure that the text has the same number of characters or else you will have problems when playing the game.
    Because of this, many times you can't translate word for word, but have to figure out alternate ways of saying the same thing.
    It was fun though, just a lot of work.

10. rwn

rwn Active Member

i suppose you could do that... and then take that translation and use common sense and some good old brain power to try and figure it out.