1. This forum is in read-only mode.

A new way to download roms... Randomly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by seventhsage, Apr 26, 2009.

1. seventhsage

seventhsage Well-Known Member

for those of you looking for a good game or a lesser known game, or those of you who just have points to blow

To begin with, go here:

http://www.random.org/integers/

set the number of random integers between 5 and 10 (more than ten and it gets boring)

now, set the minimum value to 1 and the maximum value to the latest numbered rom to be released in your category, for example, i download most from the DS section. The last released rom was "3682" (last bullet), so i'll set the maximim number to 3682. change columns to 1 and click get numbers. copy / paste them and add zeroes to the beginning of each so that they are 4 digits. My results below:

1823, 2805, 1366, 2298, 1262, 1031, 0152, 1004, 0109, 0966

now search each one using the search feature, ignoring any which are in foriegn languages (unless you can speak those languages) and download any that you think are interesting

1823 - loony tunes, duck amock
    2805 - littlest pet shop garden
    1031 - harlem globetrotters - world tour
    0109 - frogger - helmet chaos

(all others removed due to foriegn language issues)

no real trick to it, just a fun way to pass the time and find games you wouldn't normally look for. Post some random results here, maybe others will like them :)

ps: the frogger game was pretty fun and the looney tunes one my little brother loved.

2. geekalot

geekalot Active Member

Code:
    well thanks for your randomness ???

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

May I just remind people of the section, this is not the spam and random section. This is the general section, and a topic that's very valid. Do NOT spam it!

4. MadmanNero

MadmanNero Well-Known Member

I guess that can solve any problems for people who don't know what they want to download its like a virtual "close you eyes and pick"
    the other side of the coin it could also be something that people will view it as a "Now,what the hell is this!?" scenario

5. crazytuna

crazytuna Well-Known Member

You usually find little gems by this way

6. Lechongbaboy

Lechongbaboy Well-Known Member

And rare finds by the way.

7. crazytuna

If only we had some kind of charm that gives us more chance to find unique roms...

8. Lechongbaboy

Lechongbaboy Well-Known Member

and underrated games

9. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

This is actually a pretty neat idea. Maybe it could be implemented in the website; press a generate random ROMs button and up pops 5 ROMs. ;D

10. MadmanNero

probably a dumb question but im asking anyway is this just for NDS/GBA roms?

11. rush n kaos

rush n kaos Well-Known Member

yea, for this site's setup anyways. the other ROMs don't have a number in front of it so this won't work

i like this idea, it's interesting to see what you might end up with every time it's hit

12. MadmanNero

;D I been playing around with it since it got posted off and on almost like playing the lottery in a way.

13. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Why not just randomize the numbers? Take number between 0 and <latest released rom>...

14. seventhsage

seventhsage Well-Known Member

thanks for everyone who gives the positive feedback

15. boniangk

boniangk New Member

try fibonnaci series numbers : 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, 89, 144,................................

16. marcy

marcy Guest

Or you use a real random generator:

start with a fix number with four digits (e.g. 1234)

then you square that number and you get 1522756

now fill the up with zeros until there are eight digits in total and take the four digits in the middle -> 01522756

then you have your new random number 5227

if you repeat the whole thing with this number you'll get 3215 and 3362, 3030, 1809, 2724, 4201 and so on

17. nejcgx

nejcgx Well-Known Member

I've got a number 2532.. wondering what that is... :p

(too lazy to check)

18. jeebstheman

jeebstheman Member

I think with my luck i would end up with stuff like "Imagine: Princess" or something like that.

19. Porygon2

Porygon2 Member

Let's try it... 705 -> Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney? No thanks...

20. crazytuna

haha you're kidding me right?...