1. This forum is in read-only mode.

A new, FASTER, Internet browser!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 32BitPwns, Sep 3, 2008.

1. 32BitPwns

32BitPwns Well-Known Member

Alright, its official, Google chrome is now in open beta and it is already wowing me when it comes to speed. I have yet to test the download speed of the browser, however the surfing speed is brilliant! I hate to say it but, I'm putting Mozilla aside and I'm using chrome for the time being. Check it out at Google.ca, you can download it there!

EDIT: I just tested the download speed by downloading a quick program the results are:

Firefox - 700-750kbps

Chrome - 700-750kbps

However chrome was more "persistent" it wasn't all over the place it stayed at about 723kbps instead of going from 400-700 like Firefox, not to mention that the interface and GUI looks better in my opinion! Check it out, its worth it

2. 32BitPwns

Yeah sorry....forgot to post the link. Anyways guys check it out ;)

3. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

I still prefer my FireFox, Google lacks a lot for web developers.

4. 32BitPwns

Thats why...? Its still in beta, dont forget, and its faster, enough said....Just because you use and love Firefox doesnt make it the best

5. ultra

ultra Guest

if you're smart you'll more then likely use a download manager [flash get, get right, net transport] for your downloads and not from your web browser.

i don't like ms explorer either and firefox is a better alternate. it's become very bad on using ie because to use it you'll need to do a drm check to get the latest ie, which most of us don't have the pleasure of. i hope some day nintendo would create an os that kills ms.

6. warriorblade

warriorblade Well-Known Member

its not bad, has some flaws to work out but not bad.

7. banhmr9001

banhmr9001 Member

Tried it.

Didn't get past the homepage.

Why?

It doesn't support AdBlock Plus, and I've been using it for so long now, the internet looks like crap without it.

8. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

I'm already missing my Noscript, Adblock Plus, and all of my other sweet plugins that I had.
    Back to Firefox.

Edit: Noscript is the biggie though. I use that one all of the time.

9. Seph

Wait, so because it's still in beta that automatically excuses the lack of features? Just because you use and love Google Chrome doesn't make it the best, not that I ever said Firefox was the best, I just said I still prefered it. Please stop your fanboy trolling.

Also, no one has actually proven it to be faster, I tried loading gmail and found that it was roughly the same as Firefox 3

10. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

Just because you use and love Nintendo Wii doesn't make it the best.
    Oh we can reverse the fanboy polarity on this one.
    Oh, and I'm having deja vu about this post, like I remember posting this years ago, but I wasn't on romulation years ago...
    mindboggling...

11. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

I don't really care for this right now, however I will definitely try this when a stable release comes out :)

12. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

First exploit has been found: An incorrect link (or javascript hover) can cause the entire program (not just one tab) to crash.

13. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

Wow, I used it, it's hell faster than Firefox, my new default browser too. I'm just missing the add ons, but nothing big. Also, later GChrome WILL have plug ins, it's certain.

14. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

I'm posting this from Chrome at the moment, and I like what I'm seeing :) . By the way, don't we have an almost similar thread in the Computers and Modding subforum >.> .

15. 4ds

4ds Well-Known Member

yea but firefox is coming put 3.1 later right so definitely wont lose to google chrome and surely i.e lol ^_^

16. n0thealthy

n0thealthy Well-Known Member

Still prefer Firefox. I just can't live without my plugins. Plus, scrolling is jerky for me. ??? IMO, it's not faster. It just seems faster because you want to believe it is. AKA, "Placebo Effect".

17. 32BitPwns

Um...Or you just have a slow internet connection? Its already been tested.....

18. Reider

Reider Modereider

Seems to go the same speed as my Firefox, so I'm just gonna stick with FF for the time due to my unadulterated love for my plugins.

19. jc_106

jc_106 Well-Known Member

It's not the "Placebo Effect", or whatever... I noticed it when I started it, and it was annoying, because I'm used to a determined speed, but this scrolling is faster, so I couldn't distinguish posts because they just kept rolling at insane speeds. I even went to the control panel, and into the mouse settings, but it kept the same, no matter if you change it.

20. Seph

http://gizmodo.com/5044871/google-chrome-eula-claims-ownership-of-everything-you-create-using-chrome-from-blog-posts-to-emails
    http://www.datenschutzbeauftragter-online.de/google-chrome-die-intention-liegt-auf-der-hand/

32BitPwns: Still all fanboy about Google Chrome now?

Second one is German but it basically says that when you login to a Google service it assigns your Chrome ID to the account, so basically they track your usage on Google, from there it's just a small step to tracking it to around the net using Google ads for instance.

I'm not saying it's not a half decent browser, but you're being all protective of it as if you made the damn thing yourself, it's really quite annoying you can't look at it objectively.