1. This forum is in read-only mode.

A little project

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Chrono, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Chrono

Chrono Guest

And now what none of you have been waiting for, something you probably haven't dreamed about, something that no-one actually knows about:
    *drum roll* DSFRIENDS
    In a nutshell it is a trading post for DS friendcodes, for the members of romulation.
    I just want to clarify this isn't another message board but a website designed for the trading of friendcodes.
    At least check it out ;D
    This has been a project of mine for sometime, and it has taken me a long, hard month to learn PHP and build this site.
    Any feedback would be great (unless it's just mean, in which case :'()

UPDATE: I'm aware that the site is slow/not-loading,
    i just found out there is some maintenance going on,
    on the server i use, it will be back at 19:00pm-23:00pm (GMT)

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Generally its not a good idea to use a major project as a learning exercise, but this looks OK, its resisted a couple of basic attacks I've attempted.

3. Chrono

Chrono Guest

i guess i like to see something come out of the work i've been putting in. And thanks for the testing.

4. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Not too bad, good job. Better than what I could do.. I'm currently in the market for a wireless router as my other one burned out :( but I'll probably join as soon as I get it.

5. CloudBoy101

CloudBoy101 Well-Known Member

Seems pretty interesting, just joined up ;D

6. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

check it again, mine stopped working but it turned out the PSU had blown up, the router itself was fine. I bought a new PSU for £18 and my £5 router is working fine again :)

7. anandjones

Wow that's cheap. Yeah, I'll check it. If it doesn't work, I can always buy one from my hacker neighbour who has about 5 extra wireless routers.

8. Chrono

Chrono Guest

Cool I appreciate you guys checking it out, and signing up ;D.
    I'm aware that the site is slow/not-loading,
    i just found out there is some maintenance going on,
    on the server i use, it will be back at 19:00pm-23:00pm (GMT)

9. joshthesim

joshthesim Active Member

It's a nice/clean website design.

Signed up.

You should put a list of the most popular games (The ones with the largest list of friend codes).
    That way, it's easier to find the more popular Wi-Fi games to add your code too, rather than searching through each game individually seeing that most are empty.

Good luck.

10. Chrono

Chrono Guest

OK thanks for that idea i plan to be adding a few features, such as an invite button that sends an invite to whoever with your friendcode for that game. And once i've learn a few more things, lets just say "Clans".

UPDATE: i added "Popular Games" to the site

11. joshthesim

joshthesim Active Member

No worries for the idea, it's looking really good.

I'll add all my friend codes tomorrow.

Just a question:
    Looking through the list of games, some i had no idea are Wi-Fi compatible?
    Since there are so many different levels of Wi-Fi compatibility; maybe you should include what each game's online play extends to.
    Example - For Mario Kart you can race against up to 4 'friends'

But i know that some games online compatibility and friend codes are solely for 'trading' or something other than live play vs. 'friends'

12. Chrono

Chrono Guest

Yeah, i was what you could call somewhat foolish, i copied a list off of wikipedia "Nintendo DS wi-fi Games" and entered each one, i obviously didn't realise they had games on their without friendcodes.I will also be adding features that have a bit of info for each game.

13. anandjones

I recommend changing the colour a bit and also adding a "Time Showoff" type thing where you post in the games with your friendcode and when you'll be on. Hope you got what I meant.

14. joshthesim

joshthesim Active Member

The color is good how it is.

Looks really fresh and clean, much like white ipods.

15. airsoft1117

airsoft1117 Well-Known Member

^ That doesn't look good :(