1. This forum is in read-only mode.

A button to switch between the old and new design

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by supertanno, Jul 4, 2009.

1. supertanno

supertanno Well-Known Member

The title says it all ;D

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

probably isn't happening.

3. supertanno

Why not? There are people who kinda hate the new design.

Why was it made anyway?

4. newyears1978

newyears1978 Member

It really is not that visually different than the old design..the big changes are behind the scenes..things that didn't work or worked incorrectly, work correctly now.. so please..give them some credit..this is a semi ridiculous request in my opinion.

5. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

It definitely will not happen, you'll most likely like it in a week when you're used to the things that changed.

Also, you cannot hate - as in intense animosity and hostility - a design.

6. supertanno

OK, but it's not really the design (OK, maybe a bit), but also the fact that that it's less synoptic (I hope this is the right word for it), at least for me.

7. Seph

you mean it's harder to get an overview of the site?

8. supertanno

Yeah. I've lost the overview completely.

9. Seph

That's slightly weird because the site is still structured exactly the same, the menu is mostly the same, except that the right hand menu moved up top.

Regardless, I'm sure you'll regain your overview with a few days of use.

10. supertanno

But WHY can't you put up a button? It's not that hard.

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

and you would know how easy or hard it is?

12. Seph

It is hard because the old design does not work any longer, the core of the site changed so sorting and filtering wouldn't work. And I'm not about to maintain two designs where one of them is not optimized properly for both bandwidth (which costs us money) and sales (which again costs us money).

13. supertanno

OK. And you were right, I'm starting to like the new design!

14. Upaut

Upaut Well-Known Member

I know this is a little old and I apologize for bumping it, as I usually don't even look in this particular board.

Since the site already makes a cookie to say your username, couldn't we toss in a pull-down box with themes listed in it and save that to the cookie? Heck, we could even make a little contest out of designing themes. Maybe throw in a theme that resembles the old design in looks.

15. Seph

Problem is that everytime we update something every theme has to be updated as well, that's a lot of work to do just so people can change the theme. Couple in the fact that the theme is directly proportional to the amount of ad revenue and sales we make and it's a lot of work to offer multiple different themes. There's a reason sites like youtube, amazon and such don't do it.

16. Upaut

Upaut Well-Known Member

Wait...what? How does a .CSS theme have anything to do with that? All I was suggesting was a minor bit of ASP.net and some .CSS to modify the looks of things.

17. Seph

Our themes are not CSS based, they are entirely new pieces of HTML residing in a different directory.