1. This forum is in read-only mode.

9 Movie...WTF Tim Burton

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by personuser, Aug 7, 2010.

1. personuser

personuser Well-Known Member

Okay, so 9 honestly looked awesome, but the plot...well *spoilers*

A bunch of ragdolls are the last existing things on earth in the future. So one gets captured by a machine. Others go to save him. Right after saving him and finding another living ragdoll, the main character pretty much goes, "duuuuuuuuuurr, I am gonna put this mysterious power core that I know nothing about in this giant metallic menacing monster and something good HAS to happen!"

Then pretty much for the rest of the movie, it kills ragdolls, each one a stereotype of something. There's a fat doll who beats up the other dolls, Two twin dolls with lightning bolts on their heads (harry potter?) an oldfag doll who hides and in't impressed by anything...hell, it sorta reminds me of girlchan in paradise a bit.

At the end, they kill it and all the dead dolls go to heaven. Then it starts to rain and life returns.

What.

2. TirithRR

TirithRR Well-Known Member

I saw the movie a week or so ago (it was on Cinemax, or something).
    It was interesting, but the ending sucked.

I think the ending would have been a bit better had:
    Instead of them having to destroy the "evil" machine, they instead had to fuse with it. That them being the parts of the scientist's human soul that carried the various emotions, combined with the "brain" of the machine would create something good. The flash back went on about how the machine lacked compassion and what not, so it would have fit pretty well. I honestly expected that was the ending it was moving towards.

But no, instead they have to kill the evil machine, and then all the dead ragdolls become the beginning of new life on the planet. But what if they destroyed the machine without any of them dying? What then! Stupid Scientist! Which is why the only real way for the scientist to ensure that the future life renewal would happen would be to fuse his human soul with the machine and create a being for good. It made perfect sense, but why wouldn't they have gone that route?

Even with an altered ending though, it wouldn't have been that good. The movie suffered from a lot of problems CG and animated films have. Too short to develop the necessary story. Like Final Fantasy Spirits Within. Overall it wasn't a bad movie, but it would have been better if it had been longer (Spirits Within started the movie at the end of the whole plot...)

3. personuser

True. A lot of people actually like the original short better than the entire movie, because there's not much to say, but it says those things at a faster pace. Honestly, though I was thinking the same thing too about the machine.

I still think 9 has gotta be one of the most retardedly curious living beings in history (with the only other being curious george). However, not even George activated a huge and menacing-looking doomsday machine out of sheer curiosity.

4. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

I've watched up to near the ending before having needed to do something. Although at that point it felt good enough so I didn't start off where I left off. And the movie did exactly what it supposed to, expand the short's story. The pace was too fast and story kind of out there. But it was alright. It served more as eye candy as the CGI was really nice and the atmosphere was really good.

Tim Burton's attachment to the film seems like his attachment to Nightmare Before Christmas, nothing but a name attached.

Also I think they were all stereotypes simply because they're part of the scientist's soul.

5. personuser

Jup. The scientist was part Retarded, part muscle-head, part Rowling Fan, And part Scared Oldfag. Only such a man would create living ragdolls instead of a better robot.

6. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

The retarded one you're talking about, could be the Scientist's curiosity.

You're being far too harsh on this movie imo. It seems like you watched the movie because you wanted to criticize it, moreso then trying to enjoy it. It was alright, yes, it was enjoyable, yes. Although nothing that special, it was alright and your conceptions of the film itself seem to stem off of that you didn't understand why they were 'stereotypes'.

They are stereotypes for the simple fact that they are all portions of the scientist, be it a certain emotion or a fascination that he had. As stupid as it sounds, it makes sense as every ragdoll was a portion of his soul.

7. awesomebros

awesomebros Well-Known Member

Is that sarcasm? If you were manly enough to watch the curious george movie, you would know that that's not true.

8. personuser

[​IMG] I thought he just painted smiles on elephants' asses.

Anyway, I actually came into the movie expecting a lot. Maybe I'm a bit harsh on it, but for one stupid mistake to be so much of the plot, it honestly seems a little silly.

9. Natewlie

Natewlie A bag of tricks

Don't most plots devolve into a small initial mistake?