1. This forum is in read-only mode.

3DS Firmware Update v.8.0.0-18U Been Released 7 July 2014

Discussion in 'Flashcart Help' started by Prectorian, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

For you people with 3DS consoles and flash cartridges, be warned that 3DS last night (yesterday) released v.8.0.0-18 updates. So be sure to check with your flash cartridge official websites for confirmation if it's safe to upgrade your console to that version or not. Remember the golden rule; 'update your flash cartridge before upgrading your console'. That is if you don't want to find yourself unable to play games on flash cartridges should you decided to go ahead and update your console before the cart is upgraded. And heck, let me say this again once and for all, adding secondary firmware from third party such as YSMENU/TTMENU, WOOD R4, AKAIO, WAIO, etc. won't help resolve a blocked cartridge due to console firmware security measures.

So far, I've heard the SuperCard DSTwo been said working fine on v.8.0.0 without upgrading. Likely any NDS rom play flash cartridges already updated and working on v.7.1.0 firmware works fine on v.8.0.0 as well, any not working on firmware above v.7.1.0 level needless to say won't work on this recent update.

Of cause, if your flash cartridge hasn't mention anything or provide any upgrades, that don't necessarily mean it's safe to go ahead and upgrade the console. It might just mean, they haven't release upgrades, or given up on making upgrades altogether. Wait for others to say it's safe, else stick to the old firmware version would be the better choice.

As for 3DS rom player flash cartridges such as Gateway, MT-Card, R4i 3DS Deluxe, etc. needless to say be sure to keep the 3DS console below v.4.5.0 if you don't want those carts blocked. So far none able to play/run above that firmware v.4.5.0. Keep that in mind.

In any case, v.8.0.0-18 mainly addresses ' further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience'. Whatever that means. But it sure didn't mention anything about blocking flash cartridges. Nintendo might have given up on blocking them by now, but who knows what they might do next. (Source: Nintendo Support Website)

All in all, I assume we might be seeing members flocking in here asking for help due to having accidentally upgraded their console ahead of their carts to that version. Ain't much we can do to help about it, since downgrading the console firmware isn't even possible. That happens way to often, doesn't it?

2. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Huh. I'm feeling for Gateway. More on their plate. Nice to see that no upgrading is needed though.

3. m_babble

m_babble Member

Cool, good to know! I haven't been on my nintendo 3ds in a while, so I should be in for a treat with these new security fixes! Thanks for the information

4. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Nintendo are actually shooting themselves in the foot here. The more encryption they add, the more cpu time and ram are spent decrypting stuff, meaning that less is available to run the games. They're slowly crippling their own console.

5. necr0

necr0 Well-Known Member

Nintendo are idiots then.

6. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Active Member

I don't think that additional encryption cost much. It's should be hardware accelerated to. They wouldn't add it if it made all existing games run slower.

7. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

good encryption is hugely expensive, and will be coming from the additional headspace not yet used by games.

8. Linda1121

Linda1121 Member

These flashcart have been confirmed to work on 3DS/XL v8.0.0-18. In short, no flashcart be blocked by 3DS new system.
    DStwo,
    r4i gold 3DS rts,
    ace3ds plus,
    r4i sdhc 3ds plus,
    r4i sdhc rts lite,
    r4i sdhc dual core,
    r4i gold pro