1. This forum is in read-only mode.

3DS Camcorder.

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by RandomRedMage, Dec 7, 2011.

1. RandomRedMage

RandomRedMage Well-Known Member

So has everyone updated to the new firmware to enjoy the new 3D camcorder feature? It's nifty. Not that I have much of a use for it now... other than maby converting videos to watch on the 3DS. lol.

2. athemoe

athemoe Well-Known Member

The 3DS cameras suck.

3. RandomRedMage

Yay a reply... unfortunately this wasn't a post about their quality. Since it is already a well known fact that that cameras in the DSi and 3DS are .3 MP. It is also a well known fact that the choice of a .3 MP camera was due to the fact of low cost and oriinal purpose on DSi to take images that display on the DSi screen. .3MP is 2x the size of the DSi screen, MORE than enough.

4. muddymaster

muddymaster Well-Known Member

According to some sites you can also watch AVIs on the 3DS, but they have to be shorter than 10 minutes long.

I personally haven't tested it yet...

5. Saiyajin Mui

Saiyajin Mui Well-Known Member

I've had a bit of a play around with that. It works pretty nicely too. There's some tools already out which does the conversion work whether they're 2D or 3D.

6. Jonez001

Jonez001 Well-Known Member

So? That is one of the reasons why it can be sold so cheaply.
    And besides, the 3DS is games... not for everyday picture making

7. muddymaster

muddymaster Well-Known Member

I saw that too, weird thing is that the program doesn't even seem to open here!
    *Has seen people taking family pics with their dsi at the mall*
    Not that I'm actually complaining about the camera, he important thing is that it gets the job done and that's enough for me.

8. Jonez001

I share your opinion

9. RandomRedMage

The conversion app thats out there is ok, it works great on 2D, but a lot of people seem to have issues doing 3D, I havn't bothered trying yet though. Nothing in 3D that I want to try and convert yet lol,

10. Saiyajin Mui

Saiyajin Mui Well-Known Member

I can upload a couple of sample videos if you guys want to have a look at them.

I spent a while trying to get it all sorted.

11. athemoe

This thread is about a camcorder, not about games :]

12. Jonez001

Look to closer to my reaction. I said that it has no need to be good because it is not that you gonna use it as your main camera.

13. athemoe

Don't add it to promote your handheld then?
    *woah 3ds has ar!*

14. Jonez001

Yes, so? Does that mean that the camera needs to be very very good. It is decent and nothing more is needed for game consoles. It is like with camera's on a mobile. It is make a snapshot when you don't have a camera around.

15. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

The difference being that cameras on mobiles are actually pretty decent in most cases. Even cheap webcams are higher than 0.3mp.

16. Jonez001

But they aren't cheap then.

17. athemoe

Do you even know what 0.3mp is?

18. RandomRedMage

Your average mobile Phone in the us that is equipped with a camera, and is NOT a smart phone. Is usually equipped with a 0.3MP camera. Early Smart phones, such as the audiovox also had a 0.3mp camera. Higher end mobile phones, and smart phones usually get a 3 to 5MP camera in them now.

The 3DS is a game system, by nintendo, targeted at younger people. But with functions that older teens and adults can enjoy as well. The average 13 year old isn't going to care that the camera is not packing bunches of mega pixels, But s/he is going to enjoy that quick snapshot of everyone doing something stupid, and now that same kid can enjoy RECORDING that same stupid moment, with the added benefit of it being 3d.

For an additional feature packed into your hand held game system it's fantastic. If you want to complain about the low quality pictures your 3DS takes... why not go sell it and use the money to buy a real camera?

19. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Actually its more usual for it to be 1.3mp or higher. My previous phone was 1.3mp

20. lewis9191

lewis9191 Well-Known Member

Dont see the point in adding a camera that is less than 3mp anyway now.