1. This forum is in read-only mode.

1GB ram + 1GB ram + 512 MB PC question .

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jhon 591, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Jhon 591

Jhon 591 Well-Known Member

1GB ram + 1GB ram + 512 MB

I it's got 4 lots , would 2x 1GB and one 512 work ?

Are dose it have to be 1gb + 512 x 2 each .

My acer T180 4000+ says it can take upto 4GB of RAM , So also would 1gb x 4 work also ?

2. Blazemax

Blazemax Well-Known Member

Yes it can work, but alot of stuff i have read on the net says you shouldnt. I really dont have a clue about the "identical size" part, but i dont why it would hurt the computer.

3. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

if it's a dual channel computer running an odd number and/or unmatched modules will cause the ram to run at half speed. 4x1GB would be the ideal configuration, although if its 32bit, only 3.5gb will be usable.

4. Jhon 591

Ok thanks both, I got the PC Now , try 2x 1GB working fine, 2x 1 GB + 512 = random crashing .

Although not try 32bit, but 64bit vista .

5. Loonylion

sounds like the 512MB stick may be faulty.

You really shouldn't be running vista on 2GB, get another 2GB and reformat with win7, and turn all the fancy crap off.

6. Jhon 591

Yes that maybe the case, When I use the 512 seam to random freeze , scratchy lines at times on screen .

Any programs that may cure it ?

I have upgraded it to windows 7's SP1 64bit .

http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-aspire-t180-ua381b-athlon-64-x2-3800-plus-2-4-ghz-1-gb-160-gb/specs/

160 sata Hdd , 2.20 Gz x 2 duo core .

I can upgrate to 4GB max , but also get a better PCI-E graphics card .

"You really shouldn't be running vista on 2GB, get another 2GB and reformat with win7, and turn all the fancy crap off."

Sorry little lost there ? , will look when get home .

7. Loonylion

faulty ram cannot be fixed, replacing the stick is the only cure.

win7 is much less ram heavy than vista, but will still struggle with 2gb.. Upgrade to 4gb and then turn off aero, revert to the windows classic theme and also disable the indexing service to save as much ram as possible.

8. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

Technicly speaking using the 32 bit Win7 basic version could run quite smooth with 2GB

9. Loonylion

it doesn't, I tried it way back in the RC days. It runs, but only just, and has to swap a lot. actually trying to use applications on top of the OS was quite laggy.

10. Jhon 591

I see thanks so much guy's ^^ , Also I may have to go back to win7's 32bit , 64bit seams more trubble then it worth with APPCRASH on some programs .

Seams not may program's was updated for 64bit systems , and emulation lot's of .dll files needed, where 32bit of same emulators don't need it .

Although very glad of the intergrated NVIDIA GeForce 6100 .

For a small price of £30 , far better then my old PC not even by half xd .

Old one had two usb ports / one faulty , New one got 9 Usb ports all good with 2.0 speed .

------

Yep Loonylion :) need to find two more RAM 1gb sticks , found one last time in CeX (UK) , Originally has 1.5 GB , but 512 gone .

So here getting to 2GB .

[​IMG]

11. Loonylion

I have NEVER had a problem running 64bit win7, and it's perfectly capable of running 32bit programs. If you have an issue with a 64bit program just use the 32bit version, in almost all cases it will make no difference.

12. Jhon 591

Is strange, Not all programs just some , could be some think i installed ...

Also yes i'm using 64bit programs, but the GOM is 32bit

Code:
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
      Application Name:	citra-qt.exe
      Application Version:	0.0.0.0
      Application Timestamp:	5527427b
      Fault Module Name:	citra-qt.exe
      Fault Module Version:	0.0.0.0
      Fault Module Timestamp:	5527427b
      Exception Code:	c0000005
      Exception Offset:	00000000000b98f0
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:	2057
      Additional Information 1:	89de
      Additional Information 2:	89de5fb4de3e18ef257c73728030f8a5
      Additional Information 3:	e04c
      Additional Information 4:	e04c10a2bd7cecbd9f14ce5d5003770e

[​IMG]
    Post Merge: [time]1429043593[/time]
    LAVVideo is a xp code C pack , so maybe have to uninstall this are maybe reinstall in XP mood , are get a new code C pack .

13. Loonylion

yeah I'd get a more up to date codec pack, video and audio APIs changed massively between 7 and xp.

14. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I apologize for hijacking Jhon's thread but isn't "K-lite Mega Codec Pack" still the best pack to get when it comes to audio and video codecs?

I still use and frequently update it whenever updates are released ever since anandjones pointed it out to me here on RomU years age ;)

15. Loonylion

I tend to use combined community codec pack now. K-lite can be a bit finicky with some of the software I use.

16. Jhon 591

Thanks guy's both ^ , Well I try both yes installed K-lite , same issue .

hijack anytime you like ;) as long as can find an answer .

17. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I on the other hand used to use CCCP but one time it just wouldn't work for me anymore hence why anandjones suggested I try K-Lite instead.

Incidentally many folks swear by Chrome whereas for me it doesn't want to work with me since day one which is why I've stuck with Firefox ever since.

So in short what I'm trying to say I guess is that apps often work for everyone differently ;)

And thanks for your approval Jhon.

18. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

k-lite is very usefull, if any its better then using anything like VLC player.

19. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

Been using K-Lite Codec since 2011. Haven't had any issues.

Far as I know, adding/removing RAM cards, will require system re-formatting in order for it to work properly (though it still will run un-formatted but with risk of glitching). At least that was what I was told by the computer technician and salesman several years ago at a store where I purchased a couple pieces to upgrade an older laptop (no longer in use). True or not I don't know.

20. Loonylion

not true in the least. If you're running a 32bit version of windows (excluding server 2003 enterprise) and want to upgrade past 4GB ram then you will have to reformat and install a 64bit version (assuming the hardware is 64bit and can support more than 4GB ram). Otherwise it's complete bullshit. They wanted you to pay them to do unnecessary work.