1. This forum is in read-only mode.

xp wouldn't install in sata hard drive

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by killer69, Aug 2, 2009.

1. killer69

killer69 Well-Known Member

ok, i built my first computer and when i first booted it, the motherboard reads everything like ram, video card ectera. then when i try to install xp, it wouldn't do so. it went to blue screen and said windows had detected an error and make sure all hardware cables are connected. what the hell? i only have one sata 500gb hard drive and dun have a floppy disk driver to install raid driver that came in a floppy disks. google it, and found complicated ways of trying to put the drivers into the os disc with nlite. and i just found out that i dun even need raid cos i have only 1 hard drive. can someone help?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Windows XP came out before SATA became mainstream, and thus does not have drivers for most SATA controllers built in. See if you can set your SATA controller to 'legacy' or 'ATA' mode, if that doesn't help, tell me what version of windows XP it is (home/pro, what service pack and if its OEM or retail) and I'll make you a disc image with the drivers in it.

3. killer69

i set it to legacy and it still gives me the blue screen of death with stop error and dumping physical memory. the motherboard is intel dp45sg with core 2 duo 2.8ghz processor, kingston ddr3 1333mhz ram and hitachi 500gb. it's windows xp pro sp2

4. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

Did you try ATA?

5. killer69

i changed the setting to legacy ide, didn't work. tried native ide, didn't work. both of them came up with blue screen of death. if i install vista do i have to worry about installing drivers so it will install properly?

6. timmy1991

timmy1991 Well-Known Member

well, since vista came out after the SATA drives, I would say go for it

7. nomercy

nomercy Well-Known Member

Does it have a floppy drive? Then you can download the SATA drivers and put them on a floppy and insert them during installation (using F6 I think).

8. Loonylion

he said it doesn't

Is it OEM or retail XP? the sticker with the key on should say.

9. ultra

ultra Guest

before installing xp, try to boot the computer all the way through. this is to see if it's a hardware problem. if it goes all the way through then it may not be the hardware.

check to make sure that your hard drive isn't jumpered for specific settings.

how much memory do you have? see if loony knows if the memory could be the problem. win xp has the 4gb limit on the memory, maybe you had installed too much and it's causing problem. double check that with loony.

did you make sure that raid or any additional hardware installation requirements are turned off on the motherboard.

are you overclocking anything?

if everything fails, go to the bios and set the minimum [i don't remember what the exact name] but it's not the optimal setting option. then try installing win xp again.

10. Loonylion

SATA hard drives do not have jumpers that affect the operation of the hard drive. There is often one to reduce the speed to 1.5gbps, but that will have no effect on anything else.

11. killer69

well this is what happens. when i install xp it goes through the fomatting stuff fine and partition stuff fine. only when it went to the xp screen where it says installing device that it fails. the bar went halfway and the blue screen of death came up. is this hardware problem or xp needs raid controller problem?

12. Loonylion

thats nothing to do with the hard disk disk being SATA then. if it was an unsupported hard disk controller it would stop at the beginning of setup with 'no hard drives found'. What does the BSOD say?

13. killer69

it says stop error 0x00000007b i think. paragraph b4 that says make sure hardware and software is connected and stuff.

14. Loonylion

that is related to possible dodgy hard disk controller, bad hard disk or corrupt/non-working drivers. Try to find new drivers.

15. killer69

new drivers for what? so it's definitely a hard disk problem. i prob call the retailer and ask if i can get another hard drive but before that is there any point of downloading the raid controller from intel and slipstream my xp disk. still haven't tried it yet, will do it if its worth all the fuss. thanks.

16. Loonylion

downloading the disk controller manufacturer driver would certainly be a good idea, the generic one with windows could be faulty.

17. killer69

ok, i'll try that. hopefully it's not hard drive problem.

18. ultra

ultra Guest

it doesn't sound like a driver problem. it sounds more like a hard drive problem.
    try using a different hard drive if you have one.

btw, do you have sufficient power for running all the components? i ask this question because sometimes people may overlook this.

if you do have sufficient power, then it's more likely a bad hard drive.

19. Loonylion

0x07b can be caused by corrupt or bad drivers.

20. killer69

psu came with case and the guy said it's 460w but when i look at the psu at the max power section, it says 312w so is that enough? i'm gonna try installing the slipstream xp cd, if that doesn't work then i'll call the retailer and see what the problem is. i just remembered when i first installed it, the bios came up with an event "problem with the hard drive has been detected" and it's still in the event log of the bios.