1. This forum is in read-only mode.

xp on vista machine?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by msg2009, Apr 3, 2010.

1. msg2009

msg2009 Romulations sexiest member

is it possible to install xp on a desktop that originally had vista and now has tiny 7?
    my dad cant get on with technology he just wants to stick to what he knows ::)

im sure i read somewhere that you cant go backwards, but im not sure

2. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

I don't think it's really possible.I tried putting to XP on my Laptop that has Vista Premium and the install XP option was greyed out.So it's probably not possible.

3. KevInChester

KevInChester Well-Known Member

If you know what you are doing you could mod Windows 7 or Vista to look very much like XP, and even to behave as such.

4. AnimeboyX3

AnimeboyX3 Well-Known Member

Very much this.I pretty much did exactly this.

5. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

yes you can go back, but its not straightforward.

6. msg2009

nothing i ever do is lol
    im guessing a format is in order?

7. Loonylion

yes and you need a modified install disc that has the hdd controller drivers added

tell me the exact version of XP you have (pro/home, retail/oem/corporate and service pack level) and I'll make you a modified disc.

8. msg2009

its xp pro sp3

9. pdaniq

pdaniq New Member

you allways can... you just need to format it all...
    put the XP cd in the cd rom and boot it at startup
    when you restart your pc with the cd in the cd rom press f8 lots of tims (sometimes its f9 or f12 depends on the pc)
    then when it asks where to boot from choose cd rom....
    if you are afraid of installations dont do it... but its not that hurd... so good luck

10. Loonylion

OEM, Retail or corporate?

If you bought it in a shop or online, it will be retail, if it came preinstalled its probably OEM.

11. msg2009

its oem

12. yoshi2889

yoshi2889 Well-Known Member

You can in some way.

The laptop of us had Vista, but now it is on XP.

With a format and an XP CD (real or not) you will get it installed :)

13. Loonylion

OK, give me a few hours and I'll make you a disc.

14. theunderling

theunderling Well-Known Member

Just set up a dual boot xp/w7 combo if your planning on using it also-otherwise just load xp.Im running xp pro and w7,both unpaid for.

15. msg2009

thanks loonylion

16. hmfan

hmfan Well-Known Member

all versions of windows will block installation of previous versions from with windows Running, That is why it shows that the "install Windows XP is grayed out. I stuck a win 2k disk in a windows XP machine and it popped up and claimed that I can't install windows 2k and blah blah blah. same with 98 and every other previous version, it's one of those situations where the computer says "why would you want to downgrade?" and tries to keep you from doing so by "accident"

but back on topic, make sure that before you install windows XP that you have all the required drivers for the computer before you make the switch, otherwise you will run into a lot of problems with setting the computer back up. (use the device manager to find out what the parts are called and look up the parts from the manufacturers or if necessary use the website of the computer manufacturer.) That way you can get the computer back up and running and not have any "unknown device" issues.

and as said earlier in the topic, tell the computer to boot from the XP disk and you shouldn't have any problems with erasing the hard drive for XP.

17. Loonylion

As I said in a another thread, it more than likely will not see the hard disk at all. This is because Sata was a new technology when XP came out and so it does not have support for it.

18. hmfan

hmfan Well-Known Member

ah yes that is a good point... but once again that is why you check device manager before you try. SATA drivers are available for XP and are usable at installation. I should know, I have a desktop in my bedroom right now that has SATA onboard and the drivers are on the driver CD that comes with the motherboard. (custom build)

19. Loonylion

yes but you have to put them onto a floppy disk or build them into the windows cd since xp setup cant load drivers at install time except from the install cd or a floppy. Most computers these days dont have floppy drives.

20. hmfan

hmfan Well-Known Member

lucky for me eh? I have a floppy drive and blank floppies. and a secondary cd drive, also a little program called n-lite, ever hear of it?