1. This forum is in read-only mode.

xbox live

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by sasquatch, Oct 14, 2008.

1. sasquatch

sasquatch Well-Known Member

I just got an xbox 360 my self and I am wondering how hard it is to get on line and whats better, plugging it straight into my broadband connection or getting the wire less connector. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

wired is always better than wireless.

3. sasquatch

yeah that's what I thought but do I need a router from my computer with a cable running between my 360 and my PC or what? its just that my 360 is set up in the lounge room with our LCD TV, and the PC with the broad band connection is in our spare room at the back of the house about 10 or so meters away and getting another broad band point connection in the living room is out of the question, as we are renting

4. Loonylion

you need a router connected to your broadband line, and a cable from that going into your computer, and another cable from the router going into your xbox. Do you have ADSL or cable, and what country do you live in?

5. anandjones

anandjones Well-Known Member

Just use a ethernet cable. If you do have one or have access to one but it's too short, buy the long cables. Seriously, my brother has about a 50? metre one. That should be enough.

6. sasquatch

I live in Australia and broadband cable access is the go here, so ethernet cable straight into the PC or would that go to my modem. when it comes to this stuff I'm a total nuffy thanks for the help by the way.

7. Loonylion

you need a cable router then. you have a cable from the modem into the wan port of the router, then a cable from a numbered port to each device needing internet.

8. iamlegend

iamlegend Well-Known Member

That may be so...
    But using the wireless adapter for the xbox is just so much tidier...
    No dealing with 50 foot cables etc.
    I've tried both ways and there's no apparent difference in performance...

If you can afford one, it's worth it...

9. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

Go easy, use wireless
    Go Loonylion, use 300ft cables

(No offend)

10. Loonylion

You can't use 300ft cables, the spec only allows up to 150ft. Wireless is easier because no-one bothers about security, they just assume it works when you plug it in. when it does, great, when it doesn't, have fun trying to work out why.

11. Rhith

Rhith Well-Known Member

I used to use wired on my xbox (100ft!) but I've changed over to wireless. It's nice, only need power and HDMI cable, the problem is those are $100 USD! :eek: But it sounds like you just need a router and ethernet cable. Should be <$30 for a simple one and then you can hook up multiple computers/xboxs/ect.

12. waylonn

Wait, I found an answer.
    You have those boxes who go in power supply's and one near your router, you can plug a cable in the box and one by the router, voila, xbox live!

13. Loonylion

that's power line networking.

14. waylonn

yup, that's what I mean, I have it because my router is all the way down and my computer all the way up :p

15. Loonylion

I have a real network :)

[​IMG]

16. waylonn

Wow, that's a nice network...

17. sasquatch

thanks guys the response has been awesome I got my self a 20 meter network cable and am told its the same as the official micro soft one. thats around about 80 foot of cable and still have not had the time to hook it up just yet. I am going to ask my brother in law to come over and show me how to hook it all up I know its probably really easy but as I said Iam a nuffy when it comes to this kinda stuff.

18. waylonn

If you want to put it away nicely, put it on the floor against the wall... alot of people won't even see it.

19. apophos755

apophos755 Well-Known Member

That's an awesome network you have there Loony. Very impressive. I also noted that you are a Lion King fan. So am I. Well....I am a fan of Scar.

20. Loonylion

forgot to update some of the specs, Smoothie is now running Smoothwall Express 3.0 Polar (DOWN Seph :p) fixes 3 and an 8MB Matrox Productiva G100 graphics card. It's also been downclocked to 300Mhz. Everything else is correct as of now (dynamode switch probably going to be replaced at some point in the not too distant future).