1. This forum is in read-only mode.

wubi help

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by kingofgamemasters777, Sep 28, 2008.

1. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

i installed wubi with ubuntu but how do i get to the windows boot manager?

2. Born2killx

Born2killx Well-Known Member

Really, you need to work on PROVIDING MORE INFORMATION IN YOUR QUESTION. I've seen a lot of your posts have been one sentence, asking about some vague topic that most people won't understand without some links.

3. adriskrayzee

adriskrayzee Well-Known Member

^Well, maybe only people who know about these things are meant to post here.

Anyway, right after you turn on your PC, you should press F8 to get to the boot menu. If you want to set Ubuntu as the default boot option go to control panel > system > advanced > startup and recovery and edit the "Default Operating System"

4. BloodVayne

BloodVayne Well-Known Member

Well, when I installed Ubuntu 8.04 using WUBI from Windows, an Ubuntu option is added to the boot menu. Note that Wubi doesn't CHANGE the MBR, which GRUB would if you were installing it traditionally to its own partition. It just ADDS an Ubuntu entry to the Windows MBR. Can you see a boot menu in the first place? What do you get when you boot your computer?

5. adriskrayzee

That right :/ If you correctly installed Ubuntu, you should now be getting a screen at start up asking you which OS to boot.

6. kingofgamemasters777

all i see is windows xp, i used the latest version of wubi and i thank i did every thing correctly but i dont see ubuntu in the bootmanger,p.s i am not useing admin account and i have no way of getting a admin account could that be whats worng?

7. adriskrayzee

Maybe that is why the entry to the Windows Boot Manager of Ubuntu was not added.

8. BloodVayne

Well there's your problem >.> . Non-admin accounts aren't allowed to edit the MBR as far as I know. Either get access to an admin account and reinstall Wubi, or install Linux traditionally (on its own partition), or even install it on a USB drive (recommended).

9. kingofgamemasters777

could i manual edit the boot.ini file so ubuntu will show up?

10. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

only if you know what you're doing.

11. kingofgamemasters777

ok heres my boot.ini file (its archived because its a hidden file so my computer can not see it, if your computer cant see it try looking for it in 7-zip or some other file manager,) so how would i put ubuntu in it? (feel free to edit it your self)

12. Loonylion

adding an OS to boot.ini manually is not something I'm going to try, especially not a non-windows OS. To my knowledge windows bootloader can't load non-windows OSes anyway.

13. kingofgamemasters777

so how is wubi sopuse to boot ubuntu if windows cant load linux os's?

14. Loonylion

because ubuntu has its own bootloader that can load windows?

15. kingofgamemasters777

:'( no linux for me then

16. BloodVayne

In my opinion, installing Ubuntu with wubi is probably THE SAFEST WAY to install Linux on your HDD. Yes, Linux has it's own bootloader that can boot the Windows partition (GRUB/ lilo), but from experience it can be a total disaster, or at least really quirky. GRUB has a tendency to fuck things up, especially in dealing with partitions. Be prepared to deal with no-boot scenarios or really screwed up boots.
    And, still, as far as I know you cannot edit system files (boot.ini) on a non-admin account. What wubi does is basically add an entry to your boot menu, linking to a virtual file system (i.e. using a file in windows and making it a linux partition) on your HDD. Therefore, it doesn't remove the Windows MBR, and it's easily uninstallable, which I like. But, like I said, your choice if you want to go ahead with it or not.

17. kingofgamemasters777

can someone give me an exapel of what the boot.ini file looks like after you install ubuntu?

18. BloodVayne

This is mine, but DON'T TRY TO DO THIS MANUALLY. I'm just saying, this is what you SHOULD get after you installed wubi:
    Notice the "Ubuntu" on the last line.

19. kingofgamemasters777

so i just put in c:\wubildr.mbr="Ubuntu" and thats it, if i try this manually and something gos wrong will it make the system un bootible?

20. Loonylion

quite probably.