1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Wireless Routers

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by SpeedSyndicate, Jan 24, 2009.

1. SpeedSyndicate

SpeedSyndicate New Member

I am looking into buying a new wireless router. Any experinces or opinions with wireless N routers?

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

I wouldn't get one until the standard is ratified (it's still in draft 2). If you get a draft-n router theres a slight possibility it may not be compatible with the final standard

3. waylonn

waylonn Well-Known Member

You should get a G-router, they're better in my opinion.

4. Loonylion

Personally I have an a/b/g wireless access point (not a router, its got one ethernet port and all it does is wired <-> wireless) No-one even knows I have a wireless network because 802.11a uses a different part of the radio spectrum to b/g, so it can't be detected unless you're using 802.11a equipment, which is pretty uncommon :)

5. ThisIsTheUsername

ThisIsTheUsername Active Member

Basically wireless standards pros and cons are:

802.11b:
    Code:
    Good: cheap, good signal range
     Bad: slow, not very resistant to interference (causing additional slowness)
    802.11a:
    Code:
    Good: fast, resistant to interference
     Bad: highest cost, very short and limited signal range
    802.11g:
    Code:
    Good: fast, good signal range
     Bad: costs more than 802.11[b]b[/b], may be vulnerable to interference (causing slowdown)
    802.11n:
    Code:
    Good: fastest maximum speed and best signal range; more resistant to signal interference from outside sources 
     Bad: standard is not yet finalized; costs more than 802.11g; the use of multiple signals may greatly interfere with existing nearby 802.11b/g based networks

So I would say go for newer equipment which supports firmware upgrade, so when n standard gets finalized (Wikipedia says it'll not be before December 2009) you can flash your router ;) (I hope that n will not require special hardware?)

I suggest until n gets finalized use g mode, I had no problems with it so far.

6. waylonn

We can plug network cables in our wireless router too, that's what I do, powerline networking.

I Love my power supply near our router :D

7. Loonylion

Depends, n is intended to use the 5ghz band by default as it has more potential channels than 2.4Ghz. b/g use 2.4Ghz

flashing your router to full n depends on how much of the standard changes between draft 2 and the final standard. Most n equipment will be backwards compatible with b/g, but new equipment will be needed to use the full benefits of n. whether draft 2 hardware will be compatible with full n hardware cannot be guaranteed at this time.

8. SpeedSyndicate

SpeedSyndicate New Member

Thank you for all the replies so far. I think I see why the mix feedbacks for Wireless N. It's a good thing I'm still looking and didn't buy anything yet. I will wait until a standard is set. I think I'll try to hold as long as I can to my Wireless G.

9. Loonylion

And that's what, 84mbit? I have gigabit speeds (full 1000BaseT over Cat5e) in the house

10. waylonn

I reach too 100mbit

11. Void

Void Well-Known Member

What are you, high?

12. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

The G-router is more stable. If you have a small house i suggest a G-Router. If your house is like 2 stories and you have wirelesss connections everywhere get the N.

13. Loonylion

My house is 2 stories and my a/b/g access point covers the whole house easily.

14. waylonn

Ours is 3 stories and could reach all computers, but the computers on the third one had a 'very weak' connection status.

15. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

i got a g/b router and my download speed is the same wirerless as it is wired

16. waylonn

And your router is ....m away? Probably next to your computer. ::)

17. kingofgamemasters777

kingofgamemasters777 Well-Known Member

well most of the time im two rooms away from my router, and other times they sit side by side

18. Barathrum

Barathrum Well-Known Member

Yeah, I guess the "g" is better for the price. 'n' really isn't all that necessary.

19. Void

Void Well-Known Member

G's are such shit. They tend to have deteriorated reception due to things like... walls.

20. Loonylion

All wireless suffers from that.