1. This forum is in read-only mode.

"Windows 10 or not Windows 10... That is the question."

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NintyRaccoon, Jul 9, 2016.

?

Which operating system are you using right now?

1. Windows 10

28.6%
  2. Windows 8

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Windows 7

71.4%
  4. Windows XP

14.3%
  5. Any Linux distro

14.3%
  6. Mac OS X

14.3%
  7. Other OS

14.3%
  8. I don't have a personal computer. I use a tablet/smart phone.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NintyRaccoon

NintyRaccoon Passive member since March 13, 2017

Today it's 20 days left before Microsoft closes the chance of upgrading one's "old" Windows to Windows 10 free of charge.

How many of you have Windows 10, either from the start or after upgrade? Does anyone plan to roll back to Windows 7 or Windows 8?

2. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

3. M.AzaryPika3172

M.AzaryPika3172 Well-Known Member

I have 2 PC which have Windows XP (old PC) and Windows 7 (new PC) right now. No time to upgrade into Windows 10 for some reason OR maybe some buggy on newest Windows 10 right now.

4. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

I'm using 10 on PC, and 7 on 2 Laptops. No issues so far.

5. NintyRaccoon

Nah, I just had to insert a "Hamlet" reference. :p

She really pwned them!

"I had never heard of Windows 10." Lol seriously?!

M.AzaryPika3172, I hear that Windows XP is vulnerable since MS stopped updating it. So I guess you don't use the Internet on your XP-PC, am I right?

Prectorian, do you play any of the Xbox Live games (found in Windows Store) on Win10?

6. Prectorian

Prectorian . Staff Member

No I don't.

7. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

I'm using Windows 10, stripped back a lot of the "features".

8. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

MacOS on laptop but Windows 10 on gaming PC. Honestly don't mind it once you install classic shell and dial back some of the privacy abuses.

9. NintyRaccoon

Where can I find the classic shell? And when you dial back some of the privacy abuses, there's still some info which is sent to MS, right?

10. Seph

Seph Administrator Staff Member

http://www.classicshell.net/

and yeah, a bit of info is sent. But probably same on Windows 7 to be honest. Usage statistic is gathered every where you go online, even RomU. Don't even get me started on how Facebook tracks you. I can live with MS tracking a few things.

11. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

Yes because microsoft backported all the spyware to windows 7 and 8. Only they don't even give the illusion of being able to turn it off on those OSes. But part of the problem is its all encrypted so nobody actually knows whats in it.

12. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

OK, so I finally decided to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 and the transition isn't exactly going smoothly. All my vital apps are running fine under Win 10 except for two games from PopCap...

Peggle Deluxe and Bejeweled 3 Deluxe both have issues rendering in Fullscreen mode.

Peggle Deluxe renders a tad towards the left of the screen, instead on being dead centered. This is a bit of a hassle as the "quit" button gets cut off. Playing on windowed mode fixes the problem though, except the game also doesn't allow me to enable "3D Acceleration" which I'm guessing is most likely the reason why the game is not dead centered on Fullscreen mode. Also not being able to use 3D Acceleration causes the game to not be able to change screen resolutions.

With Bejeweled 3, it's kind of the same. I can't enable 3D Acceleration which not only doesn't allow me to change screen resolution, but also causes the game to have funky graphics tearing both in fullscreen and in windowed mode.

RFE - Addendum:

I followed this guide for toning down Win 10's Privacy settings...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2971...our-privacy-in-windows-10-piece-by-piece.html

... but I was wondering if there are other settings you guys recommend I turn off.

13. NintyRaccoon

This is the reason why I started this thread. I used to have Windows 10 and like you Cahos, I toned down everything that had to do with privacy infringement. But since I didn't have the Enterprise-version, I couldn't stop Windows 10 from sending basic feedback.

Returning to an earlier version of Windows is one of the best decisions I've ever made. While I miss the Windows 10-exclusive Xbox-app, the Avatar maker and the Xbox Live games such as "Modern Combat 5: Blackout" (by Gameloft) and "Microsoft Treasure Hunt" - I value my privacy more.

Cahos, I actually would recommend you to go back to Windows 7. Trust me, it's worth the effort.

Thanks for the link, Seph!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016