1. This forum is in read-only mode.

[Wii] Wii Shop Channel update for Black Nintendo Wii - Is it safe?

Discussion in 'Non-Emulation Help' started by Heche, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Heche

Heche Active Member

I've just bought a new black Nintendo Wii console, and currently has version 4.2E firmware installed. However, the Wii Shop Channel states that there is an update which is required before allowing the useage of said channel. Does this mean that version 4.2E is currently now not the newest version firmware out? Or will this necessay update simply update the Wii Shop Channel?

What else will the update install aside from the Wii Shop Channel?

I wish to soft-mod my console, but fear that if I perform the Wii Shop Channel update then it might not be possible to do so... Does anyone know if it is safe to proceed?

2. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

It's probably not safe to proceed if you're wanting to do a soft-mod.

I never have gone on the shop channel,but once when I first got the wii before I knew the advantages of soft-modding a Wii.

You can always just download a wad file and install it via wadmanager.

3. Heche

Heche Active Member

It would be quite interesting to know if anyone else here has bought a black Wii console and performed this operation via the Wii Shop Channel, and what it is exactly which gets updated? If it turns out the update just updates the channel and not the firmware, then it might be safe to proceed and still soft-mod the console afterwards...

4. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

You can do whatever you want to do.

If you're set on updating, then go ahead, but I don't know if it's a new firmware or just a shop update.
    I would seriously advise that you don't update no matter what you think is worth buying off of the WiiShop. You can always install it from a wad later after you soft-mod your Wii. :\

5. alexong96

alexong96 Well-Known Member

Version 4.2 is the latest version, unfortunately. You can't install Bootmii. But you can at least install Homebrew Channel.

Here.

6. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

If you are going to soft-mod before you update then use this info that I made. - http://forum.romulation.net/index.php?topic=35411

And also bloodlust.
    You can install BootMii as an IOS, just not as Boot2.

And I would suggest using Priiloader, because if you install a bad wad and you banner-brick your Wii, then you're screwed basically. :\
    Read a guide before even thinking about installing any Homebrew first.
    Everything you need to know is on my thread I posted.

7. Heche

Heche Active Member

Your guide is a very interesting resource, although (As stated in my other thread) I feel it is mainly just a "Where to find information" rather than a "How to"

What I'm really after is a guide which actually states what to install, in which order, and where to get the necessary files etc. Everywhere I go I get different opinions on what to do first and what I should and shouldn't install...

Which brings me back on topic, as some people have said that I should not install this Wii Shop Channel update (My initial gut feeling), whereas others say it's just a channel update and is perfectly safe and I will still be able to soft-mod the console afterwards. Yet I haven't received any conformation one way or another - Merely guesses and speculation

8. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

There is a guide linked in the information thread. :p

Look at it closer.

9. Heche

Heche Active Member

According to the Wikipedia page, these are the things which were implemented with System Menu v4.2:

# Updates Wii Shop Channel (people with older firmware are unable to access it without updating theirs).
    # Deletes DVDX version 1 and Homebrew Channel versions 1.0.4 and older and blocks Bannerbomb v1
    # Implements stronger region checks for games, to remove the ability to run out-of-region games using modchips.
    # Refuses to boot and displays the message "Error:003" on Korean systems that have had its software region changed to a different country.
    # Installs boot2v4 if it had not been installed. This could brick consoles having user modified boot2 loaders and has a very slight chance to render even unmodified systems inoperable if the process was interrupted while it was being written.
    # Updates all IOSs and adds IOS70.
    # Replaces IOSs 222, 223, 249 and 250 (spots where cIOSs are installed) with stubs

So I am guessing that as I already have version 4.2, all this comes by default and any update I perform right now will simply update the Wii Shop Channel... I also assume that any anti-Homebrew listed above is already in place on my system and would be easily bypassed once I perform this Wii Shop Channel update - Would that be correct?

Does anyone have any objections to the contrary? If not, i'll perform the update and presume that the Homebrew and soft-mod processes work afterwards, unless anyone has any arguments as to why they may not work...

10. insanecrazy07

insanecrazy07 Well-Known Member

One, the Wii Shop Channel is USELESS to people who hack their Wiis...

If this were, I don't know...something actually USEFUL, then I'd consider weighing the pros and cons.

Two, Nintendo released a seemingly harmless update for facebook that rendered flashcarts on the DSi useless. The general rule is when you hack (or plan to hack) a system, any system, you don't want to update ANYTHING using official means. Always use the custom firmware (PSP), or IOSes or .wads to install stuff (Wii). I never updated my PSP (3.51) until I hacked it to 3.90 M33.
    Just don't update. Update is usually a bad word in the hacking world.

Update = some mechanism to patch up the exploit from the previous version.

It's not worth even the slightest risk, because if it does patch the system somehow, you're going to HATE that you did this...and for what, a Wii Shop Channel that you would never use had you not updated...you'll end up with a cheap plastic case with a glowing blue light. Whoopee doo.

11. lil_azn_a55a5in

lil_azn_a55a5in Well-Known Member

if you wna hack ur wii then u shouldnt do it..

12. mds64

mds64 Well-Known Member

PLZ EXPLAIN

Correct.

Also with a hack system you don't really need anything from the online stores ie wii shop, psn, etc...your getting it all for free preety much.

13. ace1o1

ace1o1 Well-Known Member

That's what I've been trying to tell said user...

I don't understand why they want to get on the shop channel... :\