1. This forum is in read-only mode.

Which version of Open Office Should I Get?

Discussion in 'Computers & Modding' started by Cahos Rahne Veloza, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Cahos Rahne Veloza The Fart Awakens

I'm currently in the process of doing a major "Piracy Removal" project on my system.

Thanks to Steam I can now purchase legit copies of games at cheaper prices :)

Then there's EA giving away The SIMs 2 with all of its Expansion & Stuff packs for Free on Origin.

So these bits of great news made me want to go straight, er rather go legit. So now I've uninstalled all of my Pirated copies of games & software, which leads me to the title of this topic.

As part of this project I will be uninstalling my pirated copy of Windows Office 2003 and I'm planning to switch to Open Office. However the Program suite is no longer bundled with Java, as noted during installation of Java Updates. So now I don't know where to download the package & upon reading up on Open Office on the net, I learned that there are now several variants of it but I don't know which one I should get.

I hope you guys, especially loony, can point me in the right direction.

2. Loonylion

Loonylion Administrator Staff Member

do you mean pure openoffice or the various forks of it (such as libreoffice?)

3. Cahos Rahne Veloza

That's thing loony, I don't know which version is best to get?

Do each version have a restrictive set of system requirements, say 32bit versus 64bit?

4. Loonylion

no the requirements are the same, the difference between openoffice and libreoffice is they're maintained by different people, they look a bit different and can have slightly different features (libreoffice, for example, can open microsoft works files, whereas openoffice can't.) Both are available for multiple OSes and in either 32 or 64 bit.

5. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Okay, I guess I'll go with just openoffice as I don't even know what Microsoft Works files are.

6. Loonylion

microsoft works is/was a cheaper alternative to ms office, aimed mainly at home use.

7. Devon

Devon Well-Known Member

Microsoft works is garbage. There loony I said it in less words.

8. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Alright so which version of openoffice should I get?

Is this one it? ---> https://www.openoffice.org/

9. Loonylion

you want the full installation for windows in whatever language you want it in. and yes, that's the site.

10. CoolKill3r

CoolKill3r Well-Known Member

I never pirate games anymore. Since there are bundles for steam games for prices like 1$ it would be a shame not to get it, specially since u pay for charity.

Anyways, isnt there just a latest download for open office on the site?

11. Cahos Rahne Veloza

Thanks for the heads up loony. I finally have Open Office up & running :D